Report has it that Nigeria’s Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo has expressed his displeasure over the harassment of Nigerians by operatives of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS).
This was made known by the Vice President while speaking to State House Reporters during an interaction at his Abuja residence on Sunday.
Osinbajo also hailed the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, for banning routine patrol of the FSARS and other tactical squads of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).
Osinbajo also condemned the routine harassment of young Nigerians by operatives of the FSARS, describing the development as infuriating.
While condemning the actions of those officers he described as “bad eggs of the Force,” the Vice President asked the police to stick to their mandates.
“I am very concerned, in fact, very angry about what I see, happening to young men and women who are arrested, in some cases maimed or killed by men of the police force,” he said.
He also commended Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) for speaking up against injustices meted out by some security operatives on young people.
Such violations, according to Osinbajo, are “completely unacceptable because these are individuals who are meant to protect Nigerians. The arrest, maiming or killing of young people or anyone at all, is completely wrong. It is unlawful and illegal, and anyone involved in this act ought to be investigated and prosecuted.”
The Vice President said:
“Today, I had a meeting with the Inspector General of Police, we reviewed several of these issues. The President and I have had discussions on this; he is very concerned about it. He wants to see a reform.
“You are probably aware that the IGP has issued a statement looking at all these issues, in particular, the warning against the use of these tactical units such as SARS for purposes of doing anything other than anti-robbery.
“For example, and I think in his statement, he specifically said that you cannot have a situation where SARS says, they are investigating Cybercrime by arresting young men and women carrying their laptops and phones. Cybercrime is an electronic crime. I don’t see how you can investigate that by seizing people’s phones in a taxi or in their cars.
“It is very obvious that this is a major concern, a few bad eggs in the police force are causing all of these problems because it is all over the place, in different states. There is a need to take serious action.
“The IG’s statement today, is a good first step. He has said clearly that police men must wear police uniforms. You cannot say that because you belong to a tactical unit, you can dress in your casual clothing and be armed because people can’t even tell the difference between robbers and the police, if you are not properly dressed in police uniform. So, clearly, a reform is in the offing.
“So, I will like to encourage civil society activists, young men and women, who bring this regularly, by the way, to the attention of government and the police.
“And I think that activism is important because they have been able to bring a lot of these issues to the attention of the police and government, and that is an important part of the process of the reform.”
Urging that all hands be on deck to effect reforms, the VP said: “I think that we all have to work together to ensure that the police and law enforcement agents, do what their duty is and their duty is to protect us, protect our society and livelihoods and homes.
“By the way, many of them are doing their duties excellently well, but there are some of them who are engaged in these activities. So, we must see this as something we all must work together to achieve, as individuals, to bring to the attention of the police and government, where there have been violations.
“And on the part of government and the police: to ensure that every one of those allegations is properly investigated and those found responsible are prosecuted and publicized so that people know that prosecution has taken place and this is the consequence. I am very confident that we will have a reformed police force and that process has already begun.’’
Credit: Punch Newz.
- Bobrisky Narrates How His Name Saved His Driver From HoodlumsOctober 23, 2020Nigerian crossdresser popularly known as Bobrisky, took to his page to narrate how his name spared his vehicle from being vandalized by hudlumps. The ...[Read more]
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Zidane given two games to save his jobOctober 23, 2020Real Madrid manager, Zinedine Zidane, has two games to save his job, L’Equipe reports. Los Blancos have started the 2020/2021 season on a shaky note. ...[Read more]
- “We are deeply sorry for flagging #ENDSARS Protest As False Information”- Instagram To NigeriansOctober 23, 2020American photo and video sharing social networking service, Instagram has apologized to Nigerians for incorrectly flagging down posts in support of ...[Read more]
- Man Utd vs Chelsea: What Edouard Mendy said about KepaOctober 23, 2020Chelsea goalkeeper, Edouard Mendy has insisted that he has a very good relationship with fellow teammate, Kepa Arrizabalaga, despite the duo fighting ...[Read more]
- Famous Nigerian Instagram drama, Producer OluwaDolarz Welcomes His Fisrt Child, See Adorable PhotosOctober 23, 2020Famous Nigerian Instagram drama producer, OluwaDolarz has declared the introduction of his first youngster on his Instagram page. The comic actor ...[Read more]
- Rudeboy “faints” In Shock After Watching President Buhari’s Address To Nigerians (+Video)October 23, 2020President Buhari at long last tended to the country today and the discourse has since seen a few responses from Nigerians, including big names. In ...[Read more]
- Lagos State Govt Condemns The looting of COVID-19 Palliative WarehouseOctober 23, 2020The Lagos state government has condemed the attack on a COVID-19 palliative stockroom in Mazamaza by criminals. Hooligans had on Thursday morning ...[Read more]
- Europa League: Gattuso blasts Osimhen, others after Napoli’s 1-0 defeatOctober 23, 2020Napoli manager, Gennaro Gattuso, has hit out at Victor Osimhen and his team-mates, following a 1-0 home defeat to AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League on ...[Read more]
- See Nigerians Reactions After President Muhammadu Buhari National Broadcast (+Screenshots)October 23, 2020Online media users have condemned President Muhammadu Buhari over the live public broadcast on the turmoil in the nation comparable to the #EndSARS ...[Read more]
- US blast Nigerian Govt Over Lekki Toll Gate ShootingsOctober 22, 2020US Fumes At Nigeria Over Lekki Toll Gate Shootings, Asks For Shooter Involved To Be Punished The government of the United States Of America has ...[Read more]