The spokesman of the Nigeria police force, Frank Mba, says it will be difficult for any responsible organisation to scrap the special anti-robbery squad (SARS).
Speaking on the nationwide protest against the police unit, Mba said some SARS operatives are involved in the fight against insurgency and banditry in the north.
Fresh cases of police brutality renewed protests calling for an end to the special unit which is notorious for its excessive use of force, arbitrary arrests and, in some cases, extrajudicial killings.
In Lagos where the protests began and now in its second day, residents flooded major roads with placards, insisting “enough is enough”, and it is time to scrap the squad.
Speaking on a Channels TV programme on Friday, Mba faulted said some of the protesters that want SARS banned are beneficiaries of crime.
“If the #EndSARS hashtag is seen as a symbolic call for the reform of SARS, I would say clearly that the leadership of the NPF is in line and ready to work with those making that call,” he said.
“However, if the hashtag should be seen as a call for the total disbandment of SARS, I would tell you very clearly that it will be difficult for any responsible organisation to work that path, taking into cognisance the amount of investment in training that government has made in setting up that department and the very critical roles it is playing.
“As a matter of fact, we have received a lot of calls from people particularly in states like Maiduguri, Yobe, and some other parts of the north where SARS operatives are deeply embedded in the fight against banditry, insurgency.
“And these people have made it very clear that ending SARS is not even an option for them because of the critical roles SARS operatives are playing in those areas, heavily on bandits, terrorists and other kinds of criminals.”
The police spokesman said while some are genuinely concerned about the excesses of their police unit, another group want it scrapped criminals who would benefit more in its absence.
“There are people who are beneficiaries of criminal enterprise,” he added.
“Some of them probably people who are receiving stolen goods; who are into organised crime such as arms smuggling, illicit arms movement, importation of drugs and other kinds of crimes that are economically motivated.”
Credit: Punch Newz.
- President Buhari gives account of those killed during the #EndSARS protests across the countryIn EndSARSOctober 24, 2020President Muhammadu Buhari has said at least 69 people have been killed during the #EndSARS protests across the country. According to the BBC, Buhari ...[Read more]
- Governor Akeredolu of Ondo State lifts 24hour indefinite curfew imposed on the StateOctober 24, 2020Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has lifted the 24hour indefinite curfew imposed on the State. The Commissioner for Information and ...[Read more]
- I would manage a team against Arsenal – WengerOctober 24, 2020Legendary Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger, has admitted he could manage a team against his former club. Wenger left the Gunners job in 2018 after 22 ...[Read more]
- Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike, proscribes IPOB in RiversOctober 24, 2020Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike, has proscribed all activities of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, in the State. Governor Wike made the ...[Read more]
- Barcelona vs Real Madrid: Why El Clasico clash will be ‘strange’ – KoemanOctober 24, 2020Barcelona boss, Ronald Koeman, has said that his side’s La Liga El Clasico clash against Real Madrid on Saturday will be ‘strange’ because it will be ...[Read more]
- Buhari meets with former heads of States and Security chiefsOctober 24, 2020President Muhammadu Buhari and former Nigerian leaders are in a meeting. The parley may not be unconnected with the widespread violence in the ...[Read more]
- West Ham vs Man City: Guardiola team’s plane develops problem during trip to LondonOctober 24, 2020Manchester City’s team flight to London was rerouted, after an aircraft fault on the eve of their Premier League clash at West Ham. Sportsmail ...[Read more]
- Manchester United vs. Chelsea: Who wins the Premier League clashOctober 24, 2020Manchester United will welcome Chelsea at Old Trafford this weekend for Match Day six of the Premier League season in the English top flight. Both ...[Read more]
- EPL: Berbatov predicts West Ham vs Man City, Man Utd vs Chelsea, Liverpool vs SheffieldOctober 24, 2020Former Manchester United striker, Dimitar Berbatov, has predicted some of the Match Day 6 matches that will be played in the Premier League this ...[Read more]
- EPL: Michael Owen predicts Arsenal vs Leicester City, Man United vs ChelseaOctober 24, 2020Former Real Madrid and Liverpool striker, Michael Owen, has predicted Arsenal to beat Leicester City in Sunday’s Premier League clash at Emirates. ...[Read more]