A former Commander of operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Ibrahim Attahiru, who was removed by the Nigerian Army High Command for failing to stop Boko Haram in 2017, has been elevated to the position of Chief of Army Staff by the President Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).
Nigeria’s military sacked Ibrahim Attahiru the former commander leading the fight against militant Islamist group Boko Haram.
Ibrahim Attahiru’s redeployment to an unspecified post follows a string of attacks by the insurgents, including the killing of at least 50 people in a mosque in November 2017.
No official reason was given for Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru’s removal.
It can be recalled that the then Army chief Gen Tukur Buratai gave him a deadline in July 2017 to deliver Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau dead or alive within 40 days.
The BBC reported the redeployment in 2017 and detailed how the then Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen Tukur Buratai, had given Attahiru 40 days to capture Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, dead or alive. Attahiru’s failure to live up to expectations saw him being removed without any posting.
READ ALSO: President Buhari Sacks Service Chiefs, Appoints New Service Chiefs
However, none of the officers who later took up Attahiru’s office have been able to capture Shekau till date. Attahiru’s tenure as theatre commander was characterised by several failures and a spike in terrorist attacks.
In May 2017, Attahiru took over the theatre command from Major General Lucky Irabor who is now the Chief of Defence Staff.
However, suicide bombings and attacks on military formations increased drastically.
In June, barely a month after he took over, Boko Haram insurgents attacked Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
Some members of staff of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation on the team were also killed in the brutal ambush.
Boko Haram, using four female suicide bombers, attacked Muna Gari, a suburb of Maiduguri, killing about 14 persons.
Photo Credit: Getty
- Idea of ‘vaccine passports’ shot down by WHOIn LifestyleFebruary 25, 2021No need to pull your suitcase and neck pillow from storage just yet. In light of hype and rumor surrounding the so-called “vaccine passport,” the ...[Read more]
- Students call remote learning ‘boring’ and ‘weird’ during de Blasio school visitIn USAFebruary 25, 2021The reviews are in: remote learning is “boring.” And it’s also “weird,” students told Mayor Bill de Blasio and Department of Education Chancellor ...[Read more]
- Arizona woman returns 1950s Purple Heart to man’s family after finding it at thrift storeIn LifestyleFebruary 25, 2021A family has been reunited with their father’s Purple Heart more than three decades after he died, thanks to a bit of sleuthing. ...[Read more]
- NYC hospitals were unprepared for last spring’s COVID-19 surge, report findsIn USAFebruary 25, 2021New York City’s hospitals were woefully unprepared for last year’s nightmare surge in COVID-19 patients due to a lack of planning from the city, the ...[Read more]
- NYC has extra COVID-19 vaccine supply this weekIn USAFebruary 25, 2021New York City has a surplus of COVID-19 vaccines this week after delayed shipments finally arrived — so it’s ramping up hours and doubling the number ...[Read more]
- “Waiting to have money before marrying is a flimsy excuse” – Laura Ikeji tells men (Video)In Celebrity NewsFebruary 25, 2021Serial entrepreneur, Laura Ikeji has advised Nigerian men to go ahead and marry when they find a woman they love even if they are broke. She made ...[Read more]
- House poised to vote on legal safeguards for LGBTQ peopleIn LifestyleFebruary 25, 2021WASHINGTON — The Democratic-led House is poised to pass a bill that would enshrine LGBTQ protections in the nation’s labor and civil rights laws, a ...[Read more]
- Mona Gucci Eats Her Vomit Back – Says She Won’t Release Nana Ama Mcbrown’s SecretsIn EntertainmentFebruary 25, 2021To all those who are waiting for Mona Gucci to drop deep secrets of Nana Ama Mcbrown on Friday on Kantanka TV, she says you all should sit your a*ses ...[Read more]
- My dad used to work at a fast-food restaurant in US before he became wealthy – Davido reveals (Video)In NewsFebruary 25, 2021Nigerian singer, Davido has revealed his billionaire father, Adedeji Adeleke, worked as a manager at Burger King, a fast-food restaurant in the US ...[Read more]
- NY AG Letitia James mulling request for probe of Gov. Cuomo over sex harass claimIn USAFebruary 25, 2021New York Attorney General Letitia James is mulling a request to launch an independent probe of sexual harassment claims leveled against Gov. Andrew ...[Read more]