Oludotun Jacobs (born July 11, 1942), popularly known as Olu Jacobs, is a Nigerian actor. He has starred in several British television series and international films. In 2007 he won the African Movie Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role.
Oludotun Baiyewu Jacobs was born to parents from Egba Alake. He spent his early childhood in Kano and attended Holy Trinity School where he was a member of the debating and drama societies. He was inspired to take a chance with acting when he attended one of Hubert Ogunde’s annual concert party at Colonial Hotel in kano. Afterwards, he secured a visa and traveled to England to study acting.
In England, he trained at The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. He then starred in various British television shows and series in the 1970s (e.g. The Goodies, Till Death Us Do Part, Barlow at Large, The Venturers, Angels, 1990, The Tomorrow People, The Professionals). In 1978, he played the role of President Mageeba in Michael Codron’s presentation of Tom Stoppard’s play Night and Day.
In the 1980s Jacobs starred in several international films some of which include John Irvin’s war film The Dogs of War, Roman Polanski’s adventure-comedy Pirates (1986) and the family-adventure film Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend (1985). On television he was a cast in TVS’s The Witches and the Grinnygog (1983 series). Jacobs has starred in over 120 Nollywood films and is considered one of the top Nigerian Nollywood actors.
Jacobs is married to Nollywood actress Joke Silva since 1989. They have children. Asked why his wife still bears her maiden name, Jacobs answered: ”
She is her own individual. When I met her, she was an actress known as Joke Silva so why should marrying me now deny her and her audience her name. She is Miss Joke Silva who is Mrs. Joke Jacobs. It is as simple as that. People now begin to say what they like. They have even written that we are separated and all sort of stuffs. When she is working, she is Joke Silva but she is Mrs. Joke Jacobs at home.”
Olu Jacobs was honoured with the Industry Merit Award for outstanding achievements in acting at the 2013 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards.
- Meet Lindsay Ijeoma, The Lady With The Longest Natural Hair In NigeriaIn Nigeria NewsDecember 5, 2020Lindsay Ijeoma Chris is the woman who is believed to have the longest common hair in Nigeria so far. You will be marvelled at the length, thickness ...[Read more]
- Inside John Lennon’s last days in NYC before his 1980 deathIn LifestyleDecember 5, 2020John Lennon’s new Yohji Yamamoto jacket was gorgeous. So much so that he wanted to be photographed in his luxurious garment — with gold Asian ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky Signs Another Endorsement Deal With A Fashion Designing AgencyIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Nigerian crossdresser and social media influencer, Iddris Okuneye, well known as Bobrisky keeps signing endorsement deals to advance her brand and ...[Read more]
- NYC DOE says teachers who refuse COVID-19 test will be removed from payrollIn USADecember 5, 2020Get tested — or get out. The city Department of Education posted an internal rule Friday for members of the United Federation of Teachers, ...[Read more]
- These NYC first responders fear COVID-19 vaccine side effectsIn USADecember 5, 2020More than half of New York City firefighters say they won’t be vaccinated for COVID-19 when the potentially life-saving shot becomes available to ...[Read more]
- Soaring car theft in NYC sees return of The ClubIn USADecember 5, 2020Welcome back to The Club. Car theft has gotten so bad in New York City, that some cops are steering people to an ’80s throwback security device — The ...[Read more]
- California man tackles, punches 350 pound bear to save his dogIn LifestyleDecember 5, 2020A California man rescued his dog from a 350 pound bear the day before Thanksgiving. Kaleb Benham was inside his home in Grass Valley, Calif., when he ...[Read more]
- Years After Releasing the Song, ‘Yahooze’, Here Are the Latest Photos of Olu MaintainIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Olumide Edwards Adegbulu also known as Olu Maintain endeared himself to a lot of music fans with his popular song ‘Yahooze’ released as far back as ...[Read more]
- 7 Years After He Quit Acting, Emeka Ike Finally Explains The Reason For His ActionsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Ace Nollywood actor, Emeka Ike, has finally provided the reason why he quit the acting game prematurely at a time his career was flourishing. – ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Stuns In New Photos With Her First Child With Ned NwokoIn Celebrity NewsDecember 5, 2020Nollywood actress and wife of Nigerian billionaire, Ned Nwoko, Regina Daniels has shared some stunning photos of herself and her 5 months old son, ...[Read more]