Russia on Saturday reported its largest increase in coronavirus cases with the new infections rising by nearly 10,000 in a single day.
New infections jumped by 9,623 to 124,054 cases, Russian authorities said.
The official fatality rate is low in comparison to countries like Italy, Spain and the United States, however.
Fifty seven people died over the past 24 hours, bringing the total death toll to 1,222.
Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin said the Russian capital, which has emerged as the epicentre of the contagion, was not yet past the peak of the outbreak.
“The threat is apparently on the rise,” Sobyanin said on his blog earlier Saturday.
Moscow recorded 5,358 new cases, bringing the capital’s total tally to 62,658.
Sobyanin also said about two percent of Moscow residents — or more than 250,000 people — have the coronavirus.
“According to screening tests of various population groups, the real number of the infected is around two percent of Moscow’s total population,” Sobyanin said.
According to official statistics, Moscow has a population of 12.7 million but the real figure is believed to be higher.
Sobyanin said Moscow had significantly ramped up testing capacity, adding the city has managed to “contain the spread of the infection” due to the enforcement of stay-at-home rules and other measures.
The health ministry said on Friday that the number of infected children was on the rise. Two children had died from the coronavirus and 11 more were in a serious condition.
- Nigeria reports new cases of coronavirus, total exceeds 10000
- Before you come near me, you and your lineage would have chopped 10000 bullets – Bashir El-Rufai tells man who threatened to attack him
- Study an Undergraduate degree in IRELAND with tuition between 9000 to 10000 Euros; post graduate programs also available – through the best agency for âStudy in Irelandâ in Nigeria- Study Across Globe
- China reports 27 new virus cases
- Africa: Almost 20,000 New Confirmed Covid-19 Cases Across Continent in 24 Hours
- US marks over 68,000 virus cases in 24 hours
- Russia reports 181 new Coronavirus deaths, down from Friday’s record high
- Nigeria records new cases of coronavirus, cases finally hike to almost 14000
- Russia’s space chief complains that Americans joke too much about Russia’s space program
- Nigeria reports 229 new COVID-19 cases, active cases rise to 5,524