Some Nigerians are taking advantage of the economic situation in the country to engage in criminal activities. It has been discovered in this current corona virus pandemic that there are fake COVID 19 task force extorts money from members of the public.
The Commissioner for Trade, Commerce, Wealth Creation and Revenue Mobilisation, Uchenna Okafor, had charged the task force to enforce all government’s policies in the market, during the inauguration of the task force for the Main Market Onitsha, by ensuring that traders and their customers wore their face masks, observe physical distancing and hand washing rituals.
Regrettably, some groups of people however have taken advantage of the arrangements to harass, intimidate and extort money from unsuspecting members of the public, all in the name of enforcing the directives.
Parading themselves as government officials, they disguise themselves with reflective jackets and operate in a shuttle buses/keke with stickers bearing COVID-19 task force to extort, especially those without face masks. About three months ago, four of such people who claimed to be officials of the Ministry of Health were arrested in Onitsha, fully kitted with reflective jackets and caps with inscriptions “fight against COVID-19.”
The Anambra State Police spokesperson, Haruna Mohammed, while parading the suspects said preliminary investigation revealed that the culprit were neither government workers nor health officials as they claimed. He said;
“Suspects, who allegedly claimed to be officials of the Ministry of Health, fully kitted with reflective jackets and caps with inscriptions “fight against COVID-19” were arrested.
“Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspects were neither government workers nor health officials as they claimed but misguided elements who took advantage of the present pandemic situation to market their unhygienic products to the oblivious buyers.
“Exhibits recovered in their possessions include three cartons of hand sanitisers, flyers, several reflective jackets, four caps and over 50 nose masks.”
Source; Tale Tela
- Kano State Task Force Committee Seizes & Destroys Fake Drugs Worth N6 Billion
- Kano State Ministry of Health task force committee destroys fake drugs worth N6bn
- Anambra State task force officials nabbed while sexually molesting a girl for not wearing of face mask (photos)
- Anambra State task force officials nabbed while allegedly sexually molesting a girl they accused of flouting the law on wearing of face mask
- COVID-19 task force members not campaign officials – Anambra govt
- Fake soldier jailed for assaulting task force operatives after his bike was seized
- Lagos Task Force arraigns alleged female fake house agent for defrauding customers
- We are evicting all Almajirai, street beggars from Kaduna state – COVID-19 task force
- Enugu State task force intercepts run-away COVID-19 patient from Delta
- Wike Gives Directive To COVID-19 Task Force In River State