The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, on Saturday, declared that its members are not in a hurry to call off the prolonged industrial action.
Dr Edor J. Edor, the ASUU Chairman of University of Calabar said lecturers are determined to ensure that the challenges of universities are substantially resolved.
The ASUU Chairman also insisted that the union has not reached any agreement with the federal government, despite the latest meeting.
On ASUU calling off its strike, Edor disclosed that only the union branches can suspend the current industrial action.
He said the branches would hold their congresses next week, after which a decision would be made on the prolonged strike
According to Edor: “It’s the branches of ASUU that has the supreme power to say we have heard government’s proposal and are comfortable or we are not comfortable.
“For now, the branches have not held their congresses and we may hold our congresses early next week then we will decide if to call off strike or not.
“The situation as it is now is that between ASUU and the federal government there is no agreement yet.
“We will wish that the Nigerian students, parents, leaders, traditional rulers, civil societies and opinion leaders of various communities should understand that it’s in the interest of these students that we are embarking on this action.
“It is so that they would have hope that we are on this action, we are actually on this action so that Nigerian students would no longer cluster in their hostels when they resume school. We are actually on this action so that our daughters who live like sardines in the hostels in the name of accommodation would have spacious and ventilated accommodations. All of them who live in the hostels, I’m making no exception, they have no clean and decent toilet to ease themselves.
“When we are calling for revitalization funds for public universities, we are actually fighting to improve the standard of living of our students who are our children so that we will have decent offices to work in, standard laboratories, standard theatres and other structural materials. We are actually wishing our students and children well and on top of that, we are saying the university teacher can’t take a second place in the society, it’s not done in any part of the world. The people we groom and churn into the society gets there and begins to lord it over us.
“Nigerian government should at least look into the welfare of our members. We are hell bent on government solving this problem this time substantially, we are not in a hurry to suspend this action.”
The federal government had excluded academic staff from the Integrated Payroll and Personal Information System, IPPIS, payment system.
This was disclosed by the Minister of Labour and Employment after a meeting between a delegation of the federal government and ASUU leadership in Abuja on Friday.
- Influencer, Adeherself And The Cute Abiola Sparks Dating Rumours As They Share Loved-up PhotosIn Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020Social media influencer, Adeherself and popular Nigerian Instagram comedian, The Cute Abiola, have left their fans and followers confused after ...[Read more]
- Mr H Happily Enjoys Mercy Eke’s Bare Butt Twerk For Him In Dubai (Video)In Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020Big Brother Naija season 4 winner, Mercy Eke has been spotted in Dubai twerking her bare booty for the acclaimed husband, Mr H. – Advertisement ...[Read more]
- The White House approves intelligence briefing for the United States, US, President-elect Joe BidenIn USANovember 25, 2020The White House has approved an intelligence briefing for the United States, US, President-elect Joe Biden. The Office of the Director of National ...[Read more]
- OAP Toolz narrates her experience after her husband tested Positive to Covid-19In Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020On-air personality, Tolu Demuren, also known as Toolz took to her Twitter handle to reveal that she and her hubby, Captain Tunde Demuren, tested ...[Read more]
- Burna Boy nominated for the 2021 Grammy Awards, which is billed to hold on January 31, 2021In Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020Self-acclaimed African giant, Burna Boy, has been nominated for the 2021 Grammy Awards, which is billed to hold on January 31, 2021. Burna Boy’s ...[Read more]
- Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court in Abuja orders security agencies to arrest Faisal MainaIn NewsNovember 25, 2020Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered security agencies to arrest Faisal Maina. Faisal is the son of Abdulrasheed Maina, ...[Read more]
- ”It Is Okay To Be Gay” – Angela Eguavoen Voices But Urges Gays To Marry Gay Partners AloneIn Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020A deep thinking Nigerian actress, Angela Eguavoen, has advised gays to marry their gay partners instead of marrying a partner who is clueless about ...[Read more]
- Deji Adeyanju warns PDP against tiku Abubakar as its 2023 presidential candidate, See whyIn Nigeria NewsNovember 25, 2020Deji Adeyanju, popular activist, on Tuesday, warned the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, against fielding Atiku Abubakar, former Vice President, as its ...[Read more]
- Joe Biden breaks a major record with the United States election results, See emerging details hereIn USANovember 25, 2020Joe Biden has broken a major record with the United States election results. The Democrat is now the first presidential challenger to win more than ...[Read more]
- “Are You Up To The Age Of Her Last Born?” – Uche Maduagwu Blasts Adesua Etomi After She Insulted Lauretta OnochieIn Celebrity NewsNovember 25, 2020Nollywood actor, Uche Maduagwu took to social media to blast his colleague actress, Adesua Etomi after she called out President Muhammadu Buhari’s ...[Read more]