Microsoft founder Bill Gates and his wife and fellow philanthropist Melinda on Monday night announced they are divorcing after a 27-year marriage.
The announcement comes two years after the divorce of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, another of the world’s wealthiest people, and his wife MacKenzie.
Here are things you should know about Bill Gates and Melinda:
1. They met in the late 1980s when Melinda joined Bill’s Microsoft firm and have three children.
2. The two got married in Hawaii in 1994 after Bill Gates had weighed the pros and cons on a blackboard.
3. The couple runs Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which funds programmes in global health, gender equality, education, and other causes.
4. They dedicated $20 billion worth of Microsoft stock to the foundation as they sought to increase their commitment to philanthropy, Bill Gates wrote in a 2019 blog post.
5. The two are co-chairs and trustees of the foundation, which launched in 2000. The foundation has over $51 billion in assets, according to a tax filing.
6. Bill Gates owns 1.37% of Microsoft’s outstanding shares, which are worth more than $26 billion, according to FactSet.
7. The couple were creators, along with Warren Buffett, of the Giving Pledge, which involves giving away more than half of their wealth.
- Paris court tries anti-racism activist for statue attackIn LifestyleMay 10, 2021PARIS — A French activist for Black rights went on trial in Paris on Monday for defacing a statue of a historical figure from France’s colonial, ...[Read more]
- Elevator packed with law enforcement officers collapses in BrooklynIn USAMay 10, 2021An elevator collapsed in a Brooklyn building Monday morning with about two dozen members of federal and local law enforcement agencies inside, ...[Read more]
- Women’s FA Cup Round of 32 draw heldIn GhanaMay 10, 2021Advertisement The draw for the round of 32 of the 2020/21 Women’s FA Cup season took place on Monday, May 10, 2021. The Teams were grouped into five ...[Read more]
- Why are people getting choked up at this ad for gum?In LifestyleMay 10, 2021This one hit hard. An epic new commercial for Wrigley’s Extra brand gum that celebrates the end of the COVID-19 pandemic is giving cooped up viewers ...[Read more]
- Nigerians in diaspora with expired passports can come back home for renewal – FGIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, says Nigerians in diaspora with expired passports can return home for the renewal “without fear of ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: FG re-imposes curfew, restriction on mass gatheringIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021The Federal Government has re-introduced a nationwide curfew to curtail further spread of COVID-19. National Incident Manager, Mukhtar Mohammed, ...[Read more]
- SUNY, CUNY to require students to get COVID vaccine by fall, Cuomo saysIn USAMay 10, 2021Both SUNY and CUNY will require students to get COVID-19 vaccines before the next academic year, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday. The public ...[Read more]
- No Body Has A Manual To Keep A Man – Nkechi Blessing Subtly ShadesIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Actress Nkechi Blessing has subtly shaded her colleagues whose marriage has ended saying no one has a manual to keep a man and a ...[Read more]
- “There’s nothing worse than a broke famous person” – DJ Big NIn Celebrity NewsMay 10, 2021Nigerian hip-hop Dj Big N dishes out advice to entrepreneurs and his fans as he disclosed there’s nothing worse than a broke famous person. Big N ...[Read more]
- NYC shootings keep soaring, up 86 percent over 2020: NYPD dataIn USAMay 10, 2021The gun violence in Gotham more than doubled last week — capped by a wild shooting in Times Square that left a 4-year-old girl among three people ...[Read more]