Thunder Queens put up a dramatic second half performance that ensured they rallied from 2 goals down to beat Lady Strikers 3-2 on match day 9 of the Women’s Premier League.
Fresh from their humiliating 5-1 loss to Hasaacas Ladies, Lady Strikers came into the game as wounded tigers ready to devour their opponent. Their intensions were very clear right from the blast of the whistle as they made early incursions into the opponent’s goal area.
They kept bombarding the goal area of Thunder Queens until they were rewarded a goal through Gladys Amfobea as she slotted home a long kick from Goalkeeper Winifred Nabonne.
Lady Strikers had the brightest chance to score the first goal of the match but with only a Goalkeeper to beat, Suzzy Dede Teye blew the chance away.
Strikers succeeded in unsettling their guest as they bossed the midfield and kept piling incessant pressure in search of more goals and that paid off in the 34th minute when Gladys Amfobea scored a brace.
Thunder Queens came into the game in the dying embers and were awarded a penalty just a minute after Strikers netted their second goal but the poorly taken kick went over the bar.
They never got undaunted and continued to probe for a consolation goal – two minutes to end the first half, Vivian Konadu Adjei fetched the consolation from a corner Kick.
In the second half, Thunder Queens continued from where they left off as they threw more players forward and attacked from the flanks. They took absolute control of the game and dictated the pace as Lady Strikers continued to chase shadows.
The defense of Strikers looked wary and yielded to the pressure of the guest team as they began giving away balls in vital areas of the pitch. Deborah Opoku who had a blinder, weaved her way through Strikers defense and put the ball beyond the reach of Winnifred Nabonne in post for the home side to pull parity.
Juliet Abankwa climbed off the bench to fetch the needed match winner for Thunder Queens.
Credit: Ghana Football Association
- Inside Natasha Thahane’s Housewarming Dinner (Photos)In South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Sharing some moments from the special occasion, Thahane shared the scripture Joshua 24:15 from the Bible. “And if it seem evil unto you ...[Read more]
- MTA says de Blasio’s ‘irresponsible’ subway cop math doesn’t add upIn USAMay 18, 2021MTA leaders are calling into question Mayor de Blasio’s commitment to put more cops on the subway — accusing Hizzoner of misleading them and the ...[Read more]
- If I’m Owing You, Forgive Me Jesus Has Paid – Teni To Those She OwesIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Teniola Apata better known as Teni the entertainer has asked those she’s owing some money to forgive her because Jesus has paid for her ...[Read more]
- New Dutch exhibition takes unflinching look at slaveryIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021AMSTERDAM — The delicacy of one of the first objects in new exhibition at Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum belies its brutality. At the end of a thin iron rod ...[Read more]
- EPL: Michael Owen advises Harry Kane amid interest from Chelsea, Man United, Man CityIn SportsMay 18, 2021Michael Owen, former Liverpool player, has advised Tottenham Hotspur striker, Harry Kane, that it’s ‘now or never’ for him to leave the club this ...[Read more]
- De Blasio can’t say whether he’d vote for a Republican over Gov. CuomoIn USAMay 18, 2021Mayor Bill de Blasio took the fifth Tuesday when asked whether he’d choose one of the GOP candidates running for governor over voting to re-electing ...[Read more]
- I’m The Rich Mnisi Of The Kitchen – Somizi BragsIn South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Taking to his social media account, the star told his fans that he just got booked for his first gig as a private chef and the food ...[Read more]
- Strippers are back on the job but COVID rules are hurting their payIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021When California stripper Brittney, 26, walked into San Francisco’s reopened Gold Club stripping venue again in April after a year, she was confronted ...[Read more]
- 10 suspected rail line vandals, 7 illegal miners paraded in BenueIn Local NewsMay 18, 2021The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Benue Command, on Tuesday, paraded 10 persons over alleged vandalism of rail lines at Udei in ...[Read more]
- Eating junk food for a month took 10 years off my life: doctorIn LifestyleMay 18, 2021A British physician who used his body as a test subject claims that one month on a junk food diet has shaved 10 years off his life. For four grueling ...[Read more]