A Black American, Curtis Flowers is set to be handsomely compensated after he was wrongfully imprisoned for murder, even though he always maintained his innocence.
The state of Mississippi has been ordered to pay $500,000 (N205m) in damages to Curtis for wrongfully arresting him.
He was arrested in January 1997 and released Dec 2019 after serving 23 years in prison.
Circuit Judge George Mitchell ordered the state to pay Curtis $50,000 a year for 10 years as well as an additional $50,000 (N20,578,000) to cover legal expenses.
Doug Evans the District Attorney tried Curtis six times for the murder of four persons in a furniture store in Winona near Jackson.
Two of the trials ended in hung juries and four resulted in convictions as well as the death sentence which was overturned due to prosecutorial misconduct.
In a fresh appeal, his defence argues that there was insufficient physical evidence and the witness statements were too weak to convict.
The US Supreme court voted 7-2 that Flowers was denied a fair trial after Evans refused to allow black jurors to take part in the trial.
Critics have said that the compensation paid to flowers is too low, in Nevada, another man who was released after being wrongfully arrested and imprisoned for 18 years was paid $1.3 million (N535,028,000).
- “Rather than fighting for God, fight bad leaders” – Actor, Yul Edochie tells fanaticsIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Popular Nollywood actor, Yul Edochie has advised religious fanatics to fight against things that are physical such as bad leaders, rather than ...[Read more]
- See Group Photo Toyin Abraham Posted That Has Top Celebrities Like Ini Edo and Other Awardees In itIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham to her Instagram page to share a lovely group photo that was taken at the Eko Film and TV Awards. The ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Tuchel insulted me – Porto coach, ConceicaoIn SportsApril 14, 2021Porto head coach, Sergio Conceicao, has accused Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel, of insulting him during his side’s Champions League quarter-final ...[Read more]
- Protesting student of Plateau State University falls off vehicle, diesIn Local NewsApril 14, 2021Two suspects, who robbed a POS Shop in Ogidi, under Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State, have been arrested by the Nigerian Police. They were ...[Read more]
- EPL: Thiago explains what makes Guardiola, Klopp different from other managersIn EPL, SportsApril 14, 2021Porto head coach, Sergio Conceicao, has accused Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel, of insulting him during his side’s Champions League quarter-final ...[Read more]
- “Find a lovely girl about your age” – Singer, Waje dismisses fan who attempted to shoot his shotIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021One of Nigeria’s outstanding vocalists, Waje has shunned a fan who attempted to shoot his shot of love at her. The fan identified by his Twitter ...[Read more]
- Instead Of Exposing And Publicising Our Offenses, Let’s Hold One Another With Grace – Toyin Abraham SaysIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021Actress Toyin Abraham has disclosed that instead of complaining and exposing or publicizing the offenses of one another, let’s hold each other with ...[Read more]
- UCL: Joe Cole names Chelsea’s semi-final preference between Real Madrid, LiverpoolIn SportsApril 14, 2021Nigerian seasoned football manager, Henry Abiodun, has given reasons why Chelsea might still end up not winning the Champions League title this ...[Read more]
- ‘Forgive Yourself’ – Reno Omokri Says As He Pens Down Inspiring PostIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021Nigerian author, Reno Omokri has taken to social media to pen down an inspiring post to social media users. According to him, people shouldn’t wait ...[Read more]
- Two suspected armed robbers arrested in JigawaIn Local NewsApril 14, 2021Two suspects, who robbed a POS Shop in Ogidi, under Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State, have been arrested by the Nigerian Police. They were ...[Read more]