The report highlights significant advances made since the launch of the UN’s Every Woman Every Child movement 10 years ago, including more than one billion children being vaccinated, and deaths of under-fives reaching an all-time low in 2019.
However, the report notes that these gains were not evenly distributed across the globe.
Last year, 5.2 million children died of preventable causes before reaching age 5, and 82 per cent of those deaths were concentrated in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
The coronavirus crisis is exacerbating existing inequalities, with the most vulnerable women and children most affected by disruptions to health services, according to the UN.
Without more efforts to tackle preventable child deaths, 48 million children under five could die between 2020 and 2030, the report warns.
“Even before the COVID-19 pandemic, a child under the age of five died every six seconds somewhere around the world,” UNICEF executive director Henrietta Fore said in a press release.
“Millions of children living in conflict zones and fragile settings face even greater hardship with the onset of the pandemic.” (dpa/NAN)
- ENDSARS: Nigerians In Paris Stage Their Protest In Solidarity With Those At Home (+Photos)October 25, 2020The protest to see a conclusion to police brutalities looks positive and unabated in spite of the administration intrigues. So as to end it at home, ...[Read more]
- See Gorgeous Photos From Ex-BBNaija Housemate, Tolanibaj’s BirthdayOctober 25, 2020Previous Big Brother Naija housemate, Tolanibaj turned 27 5 days prior and denoted her birthday at a private gathering. Tragically, she was unable to ...[Read more]
- Fearless Ibrah Says Kennedy Agyapong Will Go Mad Or Commit Suicide Before 10th JanuaryOctober 25, 2020Ghanaian mogul Ibrahim Dauda prevalently known as Ibrah One is attempting to place himself into inconvenience again as he has begun another battle he ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky Says He Is Done With Makeup (+Photo)October 25, 2020Well known Nigerian crossdresser Bobrisky has guaranteed his fans to avoid cosmetics and serve them with his natural beauty. As per Bobrisky, he will ...[Read more]
- Man Calls Out Comedian Ebiye For Selling A Benz He Purchased From HimOctober 25, 2020A man @MrPsalms on Twitter, has accused Comedian Ebiye of selling the Benz he purchased from him using a loan and losing the cash to forex exchanging ...[Read more]
- Niger Delta militants roll out 11-point demandOctober 25, 2020WARRI-MILITANT groups from the nine conditions of the Niger Delta district, which pledged to continue threats, last Monday on the side of #EndSARS ...[Read more]
- Billionaire Business man, Femi Otedola Joins #ENDSARS ProtestOctober 25, 2020Business man, Femi Otedola has said that he is disheartened by the revulsions that have been unfurling in Nigeria. Otedola who made this known ...[Read more]
- Lawmaker SOB Agunbiade Reacts To The Inversion Of His Habitation By hoodlums, Who Trucked Away COVID-19 PalliativesOctober 25, 2020Leader of Lagos State House of Assembly, Sanai Agunbiade aka SOB, has responded to the inversion of his habitation by hoodlums, who trucked away ...[Read more]
- Singer Rudeboy lambast Nigerian leaders for hiding COVID-19 palliatives, Says The are Poor mentallyOctober 25, 2020Singer Paul Okoye (Rudeboy) has hammered Nigerian leaders following the revelation of concealed COVID-19 palliatives. After the peaceful protest was ...[Read more]
- Nollywood Actress Regina Daniels Shows Her Dancing Skills In A VideoOctober 25, 2020Ned Nwoko’s sixth spouse Regina Daniels has taken to online media to give her dancing skills to her fans. In a new video sighted on the ...[Read more]