May 16, 2022, 13:23 pm
Eritrea has officially declared itself virus-free after all 39 patients successfully recovered from COVID-19.
A Ministry of Health statement said the 39th patient had been discharged from hospital as of Friday, May 15.
The country’s Information Minister, Yemane Meskel also confirmed the news in a tweet saying:
Last week Friday, there were only two active cases, one of which was discharged on the 11th before the last patient recovered on Friday, and has also been discharged too.
Eritrea now joins Mauritius as the only two African countries that have recorded full recoveries.
- COVID-19: Eritrea officially virus-free with 100% recoveries and zero deaths
- Mauritius officially virus-free after total recoveries, no new cases
- COVID-19: Seychelles virus-free with full recoveries, no death
- Eritrea defends decision to sit out Africa free trade pact
- Coronavirus and Nigerian politicians: Infections, recoveries, and deaths
- COVID-19: 653 New Cases, 305 Recoveries And 6 Deaths
- COVID-19: WHO releases latest update on cases, recoveries, deaths in Africa
- WHO gives latest update on COVID-19 cases, deaths, recoveries in Africa
- WHO gives latest update of COVID-19 deaths, cases, recoveries in Africa
- COVID-19: Africa records 22,000 recoveries, 2,300 deaths