If a baby is born between Salt Lake City and Honolulu on a Delta Air Lines flight, are they Utahn, Hawaiian or Deltan? It’s up in the air.
That’s exactly the question that Lavina Mounga of Orem, Utah, must answer. The un-expectant mother, who did not know she was pregnant, was surprised to go into labor midflight on April 28, according to multiple reports.
Julia Hansen, 23, captured the whole event on her smartphone and later shared the footage via TikTok, a video watched now more than 13.4 million times.
“It’s the ‘baby being born while we’re above the Pacific Ocean’ for me,” Hansen captioned the post.
“A baby was just born on this plane,” she says to the camera in a low voice. The video then cuts to clapping as a male voice over the intercom suggests a “round of applause for the mother. Congratulations.”
The plane reportedly landed three hours later, pausing the deplaning process to allow EMTs on the plane and assist the woman out.
Hansen and friend Siearra Rowlan, 23, awoke from a nap when a flight attendant pleaded for medical assistance over the intercom and a commotion grew aboard, the Washington Post first reported on Friday, confirming the story with Delta Air Lines.
“The speaker goes on and off like they’re about to announce something but they don’t,” Rowlan said. “Then there’s a little baby crying.
She added, “It was so casual … But one kid was like, ‘This is like from a movie scene!’”
Luckily, three North Kansas City Hospital NICU nurses, as well as Dr. Dale Glenn, a family physician at Honolulu’s Straub Medical Center, just so happened to be on the plane that day and came to the call for help, according to Honolulu’s KHON2.
“I don’t know how a patient gets so lucky as to have three neonatal intensive care nurses on board the same flight when she is in emergency labor, but that was a situation we were in,” Glenn told KHON2, describing how they came to the aid of an apparently premature baby — later confirmed to be just 29 weeks.
“None of the equipment we have was suitable,” said Glenn. “So we made baby warmers out of bottles that were microwaved. We used an Apple Watch to measure the heart rate.”
Glenn warned that unexpected labor is more common than “the public really realizes.”
Local reporters later caught up with the growing family at Kapiolani Medical Center and learned that Mounga had had no idea she was pregnant.
“I just didn’t know I was pregnant. This guy just came out of nowhere.”
“If they weren’t there, I don’t think he would be here, so I’m very blessed,” she said of her in-flight care team.
The airline also noted that they do not have a policy against allowing pregnant people to fly. Per their website: “At Delta, we don’t impose restrictions on flying if you’re pregnant and don’t require a medical certificate for you to travel. If you’re traveling after your eighth month, it’s a good idea to check with your doctor to be sure travel is not restricted.”
As for the new baby’s residence, experts are undecided. The State Department’s Foreign Affairs Manual outlines how national residence is established, noting that only babies born over US airspace would be granted US citizenship. On a state level, some experts, including a spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, have said that families must register their newborn in the state in which they landed with the baby.
Mounga has said that she now considers the health-care workers who helped her through the ordeal her “family,” and might even like to say her baby is Hawaiian.
“Everybody’s so nice, and, you know, the Aloha Spirit is definitely felt here,” she said.
- Most Nigerian Male Celebrities Are Gay – Bobrisky’s Ivorian PA SaysIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT It appears the rift between controversial Nigerian crossdresser Bobrisky and his former daughter from Ivory Coast isn’t ending anytime ...[Read more]
- Suffolk County pol wants to overhaul judge selection process in NYIn USAMay 10, 2021Democratic Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone is calling on the state’s top judge, Janet DiFiore, to support an overhaul of how New York’s judges ...[Read more]
- Long Island man used bathroom cam to spy on landlord, family, cops sayIn USAMay 10, 2021A Long Island man allegedly hid a camera inside his landlord’s bathroom and collected “private images” of her family, according to police. Cristian ...[Read more]
- People Have Think I’m A Native Doctor Because I Sleep In Coffin Sometimes – Charly BoyIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Controversial Nigerian activist, Charles Oputa better known as Charly Boy has taken to his Twitter page to ask for prayers from his ...[Read more]
- Queens man accused of killing, sexually abusing his 65-year-old motherIn USAMay 10, 2021A Queens man was charged Sunday with fatally beating and sexually abusing his 65-year-old mother, prosecutors said. Pushkar Sharma, 28, allegedly ...[Read more]
- Iniubong Was A Good Girl, She Promised To Start Work And Make Me Proud – Aggrieved Mother SpeaksIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The foster mother of 26 year old Iniubong Umoren, Mrs. Ime Ekpo has expressed her sadness to Sunday Vanguard. Recall that Ms Umoren was ...[Read more]
- Madness Going On In Some Parts Of The Country – BuhariIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigeria’s President Buhari has taken the opportunity to condole with all those who lost family members in what he termed the “madness” ...[Read more]
- ‘Never Marry A Mummy’s Boy’ – Counselor Adofoli To LadiesIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Ghanaian counselor, Counselor Frank Adofoli has advised ladies against marrying a mummy’s boy. The renowned counselor made this known ...[Read more]
- Blessing Okoro Speaks About Who A Wife Material Really IsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian relationship coach, Blessing Okoro has spoken about who a wife material really is. The controversial personality made this ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Captured In Some Lovely Photos With Tonto Dikeh & Other Nollywood StarsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Young Nollywood actress, Regina Daniels has been captured in some lovely photos she shared on her Instagram handle. She was captured in ...[Read more]