This little piggy went wee, wee, wee into prehistory.
Archaeologists believe they have discovered the oldest painting of an animal in human history — a portly pig drawn in ocher on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, at a site known as Leang Tedongnge.
Superficial mineral testing has revealed the doodle, originally discovered in 2017 by a local researcher, is at least 45,500 years old, but the task of dating has taken years, according to the new study published in Science Advances.
The drawing is actually a small drove of pigs, although one image stands out among the rest: a large, warty swine on the run, its size indicated by a pair of hands reaching toward its meaty backside.
“They’re very, very small, little pigs, but these ancient artists portrayed them with such resplendent fatness, which I imagine was something to do with their interest in killing the largest and fattest pigs they could find, which yielded the largest amount of meat and protein,” said Adam Brumm, first author of the study, speaking to National Geographic.
It’s possible that the drawing was completed over a number of years, suggested by the different pigments used to complete the artwork. A nearby cave, Leang Balangajia 1, boasts its own hog art, dating back at least 32,000 years. Ancient tools designed for ocher processing had been previously discovered on Sulawesi Island, hinting that these tools could have been used to create the drawings.
“It’s possible that they were using that pigment to create the rock art, but we haven’t been able to make the direct connection between the [tools] and the rock art itself,” Brumm told Nat Geo.
Although some of the most notable discoveries in cave painting menageries have occurred in France and Spain, some dating back more than 40,000 years, the Leang Tedongnge discoveries are the oldest and therefore make strong evidence against the theory that ancient Europe was central to human evolution.
- NMA reveals how COVID-19 cases are increasing in NigeriaIn COVID-19, NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Suspected yahoo boys filmed spraying bundles of money into a river (Video)In Viral NewsJanuary 16, 2021A video has surfaced on social media showing the moment some young Nigerian men believed to be internet fraudsters, commonly called yahoo boys were ...[Read more]
- Watch Kamaldeen Sulemana’s cheeky finish for Nordsjaelland in win over HelsingorIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 16, 2021Black Stars teenage sensation, Kamaldeen Sulamana, scored an amazing goal for Norsdjaelland in their 4-2 win over FC Helsingor in a friendly played ...[Read more]
- 2021: Fresh prophecies about Pope Francis, Pastors Kumuyi, Adeboye, Bakare, T.B Joshua, Oyedepo, others emergeIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Paternity Scandal: ‘I’m not leaving my husband’ – Wife of FCMB MD, NuruIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021
- Socialite Susan Gutfreund sells $7.4M spoils of family’s tarnished pastIn LifestyleJanuary 16, 2021In the mid-1980s, Susan and John Gutfreund were the queen and king of New York’s high-society scene, making their mark in Page Six with their ...[Read more]
- Infrastructure: Senator Orji tasks leaders on welfare of citizenryIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Former Abia State Governor and the Senator representing Abia Central District in the red chamber of the National Assembly, Chief Theodore Orji,has ...[Read more]
- Three suspected armed robbers arrested in OsunIn Local NewsJanuary 16, 2021No fewer than two persons have been arrested for illegally sewing uniform of Oyo State Security Network Agency also known as Amotekun. DAILY POST ...[Read more]
- Aguleri/Umuleri crisis: Obiano imposes 3-day curfewIn NewsJanuary 16, 2021Former Abia State Governor and the Senator representing Abia Central District in the red chamber of the National Assembly, Chief Theodore Orji,has ...[Read more]
- The true story of Allan ‘Mr. Apology’ Bridge, founder of an apology hotlineIn LifestyleJanuary 16, 2021New York is a city of secrets. The man who called himself Mr. Apology knew more than 100,000 of them thanks to his Apology Line, which let people ...[Read more]