Somebody needs to put this “Baby” in a corner.
An intoxicated dance teacher redefined “breakdancing” after landing horribly on her head while trying to re-create Baby and Johnny’s iconic lift from “Dirty Dancing” with her boyfriend.
“It all just went so quickly,” said Millie Slennett, 25, about the bone-crunching moment that has since gone viral.
“I didn’t have my professional cap on,” the Sydney, Australia native told Kennedy News. “We’d had a few drinks — but I think having some in my system perhaps helped my fall because I was a little bit more relaxed.”
The bungled boogie began after Millie challenged her sister Rosie, 19, to a dance-off in their family’s garden. They wanted to see who could better replicate the high-flying sequence from the 1987 movie “Dirty Dancing,” in which Patrick Swayze’s Johnny hoists Jennifer Grey’s Baby above his head while ’80s hit “I’ve Had the Time of My Life” plays.
Millie was confident she and her boyfriend, 6-foot-1 Conner Justin, “had it in the bag” as she was a dance teacher and her sister is just a fashion designer. Also, her sibling’s attempt was “terrible,” according to Millie.
In the 23-second video shot by her sister, things started out promisingly with the dance pro making a running leap into Justin’s arms, whereupon he lifts her above his head so she’s parallel to the ground.
“I thought we’d nailed it,” recalled Millie, who also hosts “The Dance Pod” podcast, of her not-so-triumphant moment in the spotlight.
However, their re-creation goes awry after she topples over her beau’s shoulders and lands on her head, causing her neck and body to bend back violently like a folding chair.
“I kept trying to lift my legs higher and then they got above my head,” said the choreographer, who practices various dance sequences at home with Justin. “It went from fine to not fine within like 0.3 seconds.”
At that point, Rosie stopped filming and her family rushed over to see if Millie could still move her limbs.
The impromptu stunt woman later reported to the hospital, where CT scans revealed that she’d miraculously escaped any damage other than bruising. After reviewing the accident footage, doctors were surprised she could walk at all.
“I know I’m so lucky. It could have been so much worse,” Millie said. “I could have snapped my neck or done damage to my spine. I could have died.”
Instagram viewers were equally flummoxed over how she managed to emerge from the stunt unscathed.
“WOW!!!!!! So glad you are ok, that is so extreme,” exclaimed one relieved commenter about the “Unbreakable”-evoking saga.
Another wrote, “Omg Millie, my toes curdled, my tummy flipped. I shut my eyes. Terrifying!”
Nonetheless, the shocking clip reportedly upset Millie’s father so much that he vows to delete it from his phone.
As for the dance routine, Millie said she “wouldn’t recommend trying it after a couple of drinks.”
“Definitely try it in a swimming pool or something first.”
- Petition challenging our client’s dead-on-arrival – Lawyers for Assin North MPIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Lawyers for Assin North Member of Parliament(mp) James Gyakye Quayson are asking the Cape Coast High Court in the Central Region to dismiss the ...[Read more]
- EPL: Arteta gives injury updates on Partey, Smith Rowe ahead of Man Utd clashIn EPL, SportsJanuary 27, 2021Odion Ighalo, on Tuesday, paid tribute to Manchester United with a farewell letter. The Nigerian striker thanked Man United management and fans ...[Read more]
- The north became NDC when Adu Boahen said give them kerosene not electricity – John Tia recalls ’92 insultsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former Information Minister John Tia has revealed why people in the Northern part of Ghana always vote for the National Democratic Congress (NDC). ...[Read more]
- “Richest ashewo” – Bobrisky says while flaunting jewelry worth N12.4MIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021The most talked-about male barbie in Nigeria, Bobrisky has flaunted the worth of jewelry he wore to a date worth over N12.4m. In a recent video on ...[Read more]
- Why Ewe traditional rulers boycotted Rawlings’ funeral explained, his wife Konadu fingeredIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former National Women of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Anita Desoso says the Ewe Chiefs and family of the late former President of Ghana ...[Read more]
- Rawlings’ revolution was Ghana’s gateway to real development – Former MinisterIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former Information Minister and former Member of Parliament(MP) for the Talensi Constituency in the Upper East Region, John Tia says Rawlings’ ...[Read more]
- Supreme court not a theatre for dramatic English without legal merit – Akufo-Addo’s lawyer to Mahama’s lawyerIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Member of the legal team for the second respondent in the election 2020 petition Frank Davies has chided his colleagues, Lawyers for the petitioners ...[Read more]
- Ibrahimovic apologizes for red card after clash with LukakuIn SportsJanuary 27, 2021Everton boss, Carlo Ancelotti, has said that Frank Lampard did well as Chelsea manager during his time at the West London club. Ancelotti, who was ...[Read more]
- It’s ignorance to blame ‘innocent’ Godfred Dame for SALL – Ex lecturer replies ‘all-knowing’ Franklin CudjoeIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021A former Lecturer of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Mustapha Hameed has lashed out at IMANI President Franklin ...[Read more]
- 2024 will be ‘cool chop’ for me as NDC candidate if NPP presents Bawumia – Atubiga boastsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021A member of the National Democratic Congress’ Communications team Stephen Atubiga has noted that the New Patriotic Party (NPP) must not betray Dr. ...[Read more]