Germany saw a big jump last year in politically motivated crimes, and offenses committed by far-right supporters hit a record high, Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said on Tuesday.
Far-right offenses were up nearly 6 percent from the previous year at 23,064, and accounted for more than half of all politically motivated crimes, the highest level since police started collecting such data in 2001.
Violent crimes classified as political in nature rose by nearly 20 percent year-on-year to 3,365 and included 11 murders and 13 attempted murders, Seehofer said.
“These numbers are very alarming mainly because a trend has been established over the last few years,” he said. “During the pandemic we observed a further polarisation of the political discussion.”
Security is emerging as a key political issue ahead of a national election in September. German intelligence fears that far-right activists are trying to exploit public frustration over lockdowns imposed to halt the spread of COVID-19 to incite violence against state institutions.
Recent politically motivated murders include the shooting of nine people in shisha bars by a racist gunman in the western city of Hanau and a knife attack by a Syrian man on a gay couple in Dresden in which one person was killed, Seehofer said.
German prosecutors said on Tuesday they had arrested a man accused of sending hate mail to public figures using the acronym of a neo-Nazi gang held responsible for murdering 10 people, prosecutors said on Tuesday.
The 53-year-old suspect, who was arrested during a search of his apartment in Berlin, is accused of sending threats and hate messages over a three-year period to leftist national and regional politicians as well as to a Turkish-German lawyer who represented victims of far-right crimes.
The suspect signed his letters with the acronym “NSU 2.0,” prosecutors said, a reference to the National Socialist Underground (NSU) group blamed for the killings of eight Turks, a Greek and a German policewoman between 2000 and 2007.
- Aunt of slashed NYC subway worker begs de Blasio to ‘do something’ in emotional videoIn USAMay 6, 2021The aunt of an off-duty subway worker who was slashed in the face by a fellow rider publicly pleaded Thursday for Mayor de Blasio to “do something” ...[Read more]
- Match Officials for Division One League Matchweek 20In GhanaMay 6, 2021No. REFEREES, VENUES &OTHER OFFICIALS ZONE ONE 1. DATE: SUNDAY MAY 9, 2021 MATCH: YOUNG APOSTLES VS PAGA CROCODILE STARS VENUE: ...[Read more]
- UCL: Rio Ferdinand, Michael Owen hail Havertz after Chelsea’s 2-0 win over Real MadridIn SportsMay 6, 2021England legends, Rio Ferdinand and Michael Owen have singled out Chelsea’s Kai Havertz for praise in the Blues 2-0 win over Real Madrid on Wednesday ...[Read more]
- WPL Match day 12 Preview – southern ZoneIn GhanaMay 6, 2021Advertisement The Women’s Premier League enters match day 12 this weekend. In the Southern Zone, leaders Hasaacas whose smooth start to the second ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Money Chelsea were paid for eliminating Real Madrid revealedIn SportsMay 6, 2021England legends, Rio Ferdinand and Michael Owen have singled out Chelsea’s Kai Havertz for praise in the Blues 2-0 win over Real Madrid on Wednesday ...[Read more]
- Beasts of birdin’: Gang of condors ‘absolutely trash’ California homeIn LifestyleMay 6, 2021They turned her house into their own condor-minium. Over the weekend, a crew of the largest flying birds in North America dive-bombed one woman’s ...[Read more]
- Pantami Bags Most Outstanding Minister Of The Year AwardIn Nigeria NewsMay 6, 2021The Minister Of Communications And Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, has been conferred the Most Outstanding Minister of the Year Award. It was awarded ...[Read more]
- Police arrest 48 suspects over Mile 12 crisis in LagosIn Local NewsMay 6, 2021A 28-year-old woman, Mrs. Onyiyechi Akujobi Okeahialam, from Imo State, has raised an alarm, accusing her husband, Engr. Napoleon Okeahialam ...[Read more]
- Champions League final: Man City take decision on asking UEFA to change venueIn SportsMay 6, 2021On Thursday night, the two Europa League finalists will be confirmed. There is a strong possibility of an all-English finale as it was in the ...[Read more]
- Seven alleged members of Bronx street gang ‘800 YGz’ busted by fedsIn USAMay 6, 2021Seven alleged members of a violent Bronx street gang were busted Thursday on racketeering conspiracy charges that could land them in the slammer for ...[Read more]