STRASBOURG, France – Sixteen year-old Mariem Chourak is a devout Muslim who considers wearing a hijab an expression of her devotion to the Prophet Mohammad, but a proposal by French senators might soon deny her the freedom to do so in public spaces.
The amendment to an ‘anti-separatism’ bill designed to strengthen France’s secular values and which applies to girls under 18 has drawn outrage and prompted an online protest under the hashtag #HandsOffMyHijab (#PasToucheAMonHijab) that went viral beyond French borders.
“It’s part of my identity. To force me to remove it would be a humiliation,” Chourak said. “I cannot understand why they would want to pass a law that discriminates.”
The place of religion and religious symbols worn in public is a long-running matter of controversy in France, a staunchly secular country and home to Europe’s largest Muslim minority.
France prohibited the wearing of Islamic headscarves in state schools in 2004. In 2010, it banned the niqab, the full-face Islamic veil, in public places such as streets, parks, public transport, and administrative buildings.
The amendment pertains to all religious symbols, though opponents say it targets Muslims. Senator Christian Bilhac told lawmakers in April it would protect youngsters.
“Parents should not impose dogma on their children,” he told the upper house.
A group of young women is running the #PasToucheAMonHijab campaign from the living rooms of their families’ flats.
They have drawn support from social media influencers, a U.S. lawmaker and Ibtihaj Muhammad, the first American woman to wear a hijab while competing in the Olympics, among others.
“(The politicians) want our emancipation, they want to save us from this imaginary oppression, but it is they who are oppressing us,” said medical student Mona el Mashouly, 25, in her home city of Strasbourg.
President Emmanuel Macron warns that Islamism is undermining the unity of the Republic.
His government’s anti-separatism bill cracks down on forced marriages and virginity tests, and includes stricter surveillance of religious associations. It initially made no mention of preventing minors from wearing the hijab in public.
The conservative-dominated Senate added the amendment, as well as two more that would prevent mothers from wearing a hijab when accompanying children on school trips and ban the full-body burkini swimsuit.
A joint committee from parliament’s two chambers will debate the amendments and they may yet be scratched from the bill.
But for 22-year-old Hiba Latreche the damage is done.
“(It is) symptomatic of the constant policing of women’s bodies, choices and beliefs that we have in France,” she said, “as well as the instrumentalization of Muslim women.
- Long Island man used bathroom cam to spy on landlord, family, cops sayIn USAMay 10, 2021A Long Island man allegedly hid a camera inside his landlord’s bathroom and collected “private images” of her family, according to police. Cristian ...[Read more]
- People Have Think I’m A Native Doctor Because I Sleep In Coffin Sometimes – Charly BoyIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Controversial Nigerian activist, Charles Oputa better known as Charly Boy has taken to his Twitter page to ask for prayers from his ...[Read more]
- Queens man accused of killing, sexually abusing his 65-year-old motherIn USAMay 10, 2021A Queens man was charged Sunday with fatally beating and sexually abusing his 65-year-old mother, prosecutors said. Pushkar Sharma, 28, allegedly ...[Read more]
- Iniubong Was A Good Girl, She Promised To Start Work And Make Me Proud – Aggrieved Mother SpeaksIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The foster mother of 26 year old Iniubong Umoren, Mrs. Ime Ekpo has expressed her sadness to Sunday Vanguard. Recall that Ms Umoren was ...[Read more]
- Madness Going On In Some Parts Of The Country – BuhariIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigeria’s President Buhari has taken the opportunity to condole with all those who lost family members in what he termed the “madness” ...[Read more]
- ‘Never Marry A Mummy’s Boy’ – Counselor Adofoli To LadiesIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Ghanaian counselor, Counselor Frank Adofoli has advised ladies against marrying a mummy’s boy. The renowned counselor made this known ...[Read more]
- Blessing Okoro Speaks About Who A Wife Material Really IsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian relationship coach, Blessing Okoro has spoken about who a wife material really is. The controversial personality made this ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Captured In Some Lovely Photos With Tonto Dikeh & Other Nollywood StarsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Young Nollywood actress, Regina Daniels has been captured in some lovely photos she shared on her Instagram handle. She was captured in ...[Read more]
- Davido’s Lawyer, Bobo Ajudua Celebrates Davido For Being In The Music Game For Ten YearsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The personal lawyer for Nigerian musician, Davido, Prince Bobo Ajudua has celebrated the musician for being in the music game for ten ...[Read more]
- Sam Allardyce reacts to being relegated from Premier LeagueIn Premier League, SportsMay 9, 2021West Brom manager, Sam Allardyce, has reacted after he suffered relegation from the Premier League for the first time in his managerial career. The ...[Read more]