HONOLULU — Three years after the eruption of Kilauea volcano, Big Island residents are still waiting for some roads and services to be repaired.
People who live in the area where the volcano destroyed more than 700 structures and forced the evacuation of about 3,000 residents say they are frustrated by the slow pace of repairs to a road that leads to a popular beach park, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported Monday.
Leah Gouker, a teacher at a local school, says she can’t enjoy the beach park she grew up in because it still has no working bathroom, no water and no good places to swim.
“Honestly, I haven’t been to the beach in seven months,” she said. “Can’t they just bring the machines and dredge the ramp?”
Lava destroyed the road to Isaac Hale Park and Pohoiki Boat Ramp, which is now covered in a new black sand beach. There is a new road that detours to the site, but it turned Gouker’s seven-minute drive to the beach into 45 minutes.
The boat ramp and beach park are not the only projects that are not yet completed.
Damage to public infrastructure reached an estimated $236.5 million, according to county officials. That includes miles of roads and waterlines, nearly 1,000 utility poles and two geothermal wells. An electrical substation was also cut off.
“It’s kind of sad. It’s taken so long,” said Robert Golden, president of Lower Puna Rising, a community group.
“There has been some progress, but I wish the people in government lived where we live so they can experience what it’s like to go to bed at night,” said Golden, a Leilani Estates subdivision homeowner whose property escaped the lava. Leilani Estates was at the center of the 2018 eruption that began on May 3.
Douglas Le, the county’s recovery manager, said the county is doing what it can with the resources available.
Le was named the county’s recovery officer in 2019 after helping New York City coordinate recovery from Super Storm Sandy.
“The scale of funding is different, the community context is very different, the capabilities of local government are different, but what remains the same are the real gut and heart of what we’re trying to do,” Le said.
Hot ground caused by the lava still exists and has impacted the water supply. Water gaskets rated to a certain temperature became vulnerable, making the distribution system unreliable.
“The eruption essentially changed the recharge cycles of the water, mauka to makai, and the quality of the water that we relied upon for these areas are no longer of the quality that we can tap into again,” Le said.
- I’m A Mother To Many Out There – James Brown Says As He Wishes Himself On Mother’s DayIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Crossdresser James Brown has claimed he’s a mother to many people out there as he celebrates himself today on mother’s day wishing ...[Read more]
- Niger Boat Mishap: Local divers recover more bodies as casualty figures hit 30, search continuesIn Local NewsMay 9, 2021The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) busted a drug cartel that sells drugged cookies, cakes, and brownies to residents of Abuja and ...[Read more]
- US Stripper, Symba Includes Nigeria In The List Of Places Not To Visit For Plastic SurgeryIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT American stripper and adult entertainer, Symbaserothick has taken to social media to warn her fellow ladies who have plans of going ...[Read more]
- “You are truly self-motivated” – Jidenna pens sweet Mother’s Day message to his momIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Nigerian-American singer and songwriter, Jidenna Theodore Mobisson popularly known as Jidenna has taken to social media to celebrate his mother on ...[Read more]
- Homeless should not live within subway system: MTA’s Sarah FeinbergIn USAMay 9, 2021MTA Interim Transit President Sarah Feinberg lit into homeless advocates on Sunday, accusing them of defending the status quo of unhoused individuals ...[Read more]
- GPLwk23: Karela finally win; Dwarfs vs Legon Cities abandoned after fans threatened RefereesIn Ghana, NewsMay 9, 2021Karela United finally secured a win at the 6th time of asking since the second round of the league started more than one month ago with a hard fought ...[Read more]
- Man joyfully tattoos face of reality star, Mercy Eke on his arm (Video)In Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Die-hard fan inks the tattoo of the face of his favourite reality star, Mercy Eke, a.k.a Lambo on his arm as he joyfully shows it off. A video making ...[Read more]
- Times Square shooter was allegedly aiming for his brother, sources revealIn USAMay 9, 2021The NYPD is still hunting for the suspect, identified by sources as 31-year-old illegal CD peddler Farrakhan Muhammad. The suspected Times Square ...[Read more]
- Video shows ‘hero’ NYPD cop running with wounded child after Times Square shootingIn USAMay 9, 2021Stunning surveillance footage captures a “hero” female cop frantically running through Times Square with the youngest victim of Saturday’s shooting ...[Read more]
- “Never set out to make money from your customers” – Reno Omokri warn entrepreneursIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Public speaker and author, Reno Omokri has urged entrepreneurs to desist from making money from their customers, urging them to add meaning to their ...[Read more]