They’ll be no two peas in the single-person pods given to members of the band at Wenatchee High School in Washington.
The school’s student musicians are rocking out together inside individual pop-up tents. The innovative solution comes as the trumpets of in-person learning resound after months of remote schooling due to the pandemic.
“You get kids back in the building. You can tell people are happy,” Principal Eric Anderson told WenatcheeWorld of the schoolhouse vibes since doors reopened on Jan. 26.
During rehearsal, happy campers in the band each zip into their personal tents, spaced 6 feet apart, along with their instruments. In an effort to avoid COVID-19 exposure, the ensemble practices in shifts per Wenatchee High’s new AM-PM hybrid schedule.
“We’re getting into that groove of what are we doing in-person and what are we asking kids to do as an extension of learning when they are not with us,” Anderson said of the remixed school day.
The AM-PM schedule allows half of his student body to attend 35-minute classes in the morning, and the other half rotate in for learning in the afternoon every Tuesday through Friday. All Wenatchee students return to virtual learning every Monday.
But when it’s time to bring the noise, student-band members, such as Wenatchee High School sophomore saxophonist Alison Chamberlain, get jazzy inside the shiny green shells.
Unfortunately for sousaphone player Juan Cruz, he and his 35-pound instrument can barely fit in the solitary confinement cell.
As cautiously creative as Wenatchee High School’s kids are, this isn’t the music world’s first attempt at safely turning up in the midst of the global health crisis.
In January, rock group the Flaming Lips blew fans away when they hosted the world’s first-ever “space bubble” concerts in Oklahoma.
During back-to-back performances, the psychedelic superstars and their 100-person audience members were all individually encased in inflatable capsules. Even the drummer and his entire kit were fully enclosed in plastic protection.
While it’s not totally clear how much these one-person bubbles reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission, they’re definitely the most poppin’ PPE we’ve seen thus far.
- Ahmed Musa: Bashir Ahmad, Shehu Sani react as Super Eagles captain joins Kano PillarsIn SportsApril 14, 2021
- “Rather than fighting for God, fight bad leaders” – Actor, Yul Edochie tells fanaticsIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Popular Nollywood actor, Yul Edochie has advised religious fanatics to fight against things that are physical such as bad leaders, rather than ...[Read more]
- See Group Photo Toyin Abraham Posted That Has Top Celebrities Like Ini Edo and Other Awardees In itIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham to her Instagram page to share a lovely group photo that was taken at the Eko Film and TV Awards. The ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Tuchel insulted me – Porto coach, ConceicaoIn SportsApril 14, 2021
- Protesting student of Plateau State University falls off vehicle, diesIn Local NewsApril 14, 2021Two suspects, who robbed a POS Shop in Ogidi, under Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State, have been arrested by the Nigerian Police. They were ...[Read more]
- EPL: Thiago explains what makes Guardiola, Klopp different from other managersIn EPL, SportsApril 14, 2021
- “Find a lovely girl about your age” – Singer, Waje dismisses fan who attempted to shoot his shotIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021One of Nigeria’s outstanding vocalists, Waje has shunned a fan who attempted to shoot his shot of love at her. The fan identified by his Twitter ...[Read more]
- Instead Of Exposing And Publicising Our Offenses, Let’s Hold One Another With Grace – Toyin Abraham SaysIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021Actress Toyin Abraham has disclosed that instead of complaining and exposing or publicizing the offenses of one another, let’s hold each other with ...[Read more]
- UCL: Joe Cole names Chelsea’s semi-final preference between Real Madrid, LiverpoolIn SportsApril 14, 2021Nigerian seasoned football manager, Henry Abiodun, has given reasons why Chelsea might still end up not winning the Champions League title this ...[Read more]
- ‘Forgive Yourself’ – Reno Omokri Says As He Pens Down Inspiring PostIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021Nigerian author, Reno Omokri has taken to social media to pen down an inspiring post to social media users. According to him, people shouldn’t wait ...[Read more]