Like an entomological Armie Hammer?
They say cockroaches will inherit the earth. However, it’s a wonder they reproduce at all: Japanese researchers revealed that these household pests have a penchant for biting their mate’s wings while getting jiggy with it.
“Within mating pairs of a wood‐feeding cockroach, males and females eat the mate’s wings . . . which is the first ‘mutual’ case in these behaviors,” said Haruka Osaki and Eiiti Kasuya from Kyushu University’s Department of Biology. They authored the kinky study, which was published in the science journal Ethology.
Osaki first stumbled upon the consensual cannibalism while collecting the wood-eating roaches — which are dark and glossy and grow up to an inch long — in the wild as a biology student. She noticed that their wings looked like they may have been “chewed.”
In order to decipher the bizarre bug bites, the research gathered young adult cockroaches from Yona Field in Okinawa, Japan, and put them in lab containers, creating 24 couples. She then videotaped their behavior over four days.
Osaki found that half of the pairs engaged in wing-eating. Specifically, one roach would mount its mate and start chewing on their flying appendages before they would switch positions so the other could have a nibble.
And while some of the munched-on bugs would shudder violently, prompting their paramour to take a break from their ghoulish meal, a majority didn’t seem to mind having their wings clipped.
This makes the species the first-known practitioners of mutual sexual cannibalism, which differs from most iterations in which the dominant partner kills the other. Perhaps the most infamous example of intraspecies snacking is female praying mantises devouring their hubby’s head mid-coitus in order to increase the potential for offspring.
Scientists haven’t nailed down why exactly cockroaches de-wing each other during sex. However, unlike mantises, these kitchen pillagers likely don’t gnaw for sustenance — as the sexperiment’s subjects engaged in the practice even when “sufficient food was provided,” per the study.
Researchers postulate that wing-removal helps prevent the adults from being encumbered by unnecessary appendages, especially as the wings are magnets for mites and mold.
Not to mention that losing their wings frees up the monogamous species to invest more in caring for their progeny.
It would appear that marriage literally keeps them grounded.
“Mutual wing‐eating may be an example of true cooperation and may help explain some interactions between females and males from a new viewpoint,” said Osaki of the findings.
- Ahmed Musa: Bashir Ahmad, Shehu Sani react as Super Eagles captain joins Kano PillarsIn SportsApril 14, 2021
- Four men arrested after woman’s body found in car trunk in Far RockawayIn USAApril 14, 2021Four men are in custody after cops caught them hauling a woman’s body wrapped in a blanket and stashing it in the trunk of a car in the dead of ...[Read more]
- “Rather than fighting for God, fight bad leaders” – Actor, Yul Edochie tells fanaticsIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021Popular Nollywood actor, Yul Edochie has advised religious fanatics to fight against things that are physical such as bad leaders, rather than ...[Read more]
- See Group Photo Toyin Abraham Posted That Has Top Celebrities Like Ini Edo and Other Awardees In itIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress Toyin Abraham to her Instagram page to share a lovely group photo that was taken at the Eko Film and TV Awards. The ...[Read more]
- Champions League: Tuchel insulted me – Porto coach, ConceicaoIn SportsApril 14, 2021
- Protesting student of Plateau State University falls off vehicle, diesIn Local NewsApril 14, 2021Two suspects, who robbed a POS Shop in Ogidi, under Ijumu Local Government Area of Kogi State, have been arrested by the Nigerian Police. They were ...[Read more]
- EPL: Thiago explains what makes Guardiola, Klopp different from other managersIn EPL, SportsApril 14, 2021
- “Find a lovely girl about your age” – Singer, Waje dismisses fan who attempted to shoot his shotIn Celebrity NewsApril 14, 2021One of Nigeria’s outstanding vocalists, Waje has shunned a fan who attempted to shoot his shot of love at her. The fan identified by his Twitter ...[Read more]
- Instead Of Exposing And Publicising Our Offenses, Let’s Hold One Another With Grace – Toyin Abraham SaysIn Nigeria NewsApril 14, 2021Actress Toyin Abraham has disclosed that instead of complaining and exposing or publicizing the offenses of one another, let’s hold each other with ...[Read more]
- UCL: Joe Cole names Chelsea’s semi-final preference between Real Madrid, LiverpoolIn SportsApril 14, 2021Nigerian seasoned football manager, Henry Abiodun, has given reasons why Chelsea might still end up not winning the Champions League title this ...[Read more]