Country music superstar Luke Combs is apologizing for promoting the Confederate flag, saying “there is no excuse for those images.”
Combs, 30, who hails from Charlotte, North Carolina, was asked about Confederate imagery during a panel discussion for the Country Radio Seminar, moderated by NPR music critic Ann Powers, according to the Associated Press.
While fans are likely familiar with his association with the flag, musician Jeremy Ivey first called attention to Combs’ problematic history in a February 1 tweet.
“Any @lukecombs fans out there? Anybody care that he has multiple pics with confederate flags on his guitar and in his press photos? Why is this not a topic of discussion? We all knew he couldn’t write a song and Walmart was his fashion designer but guess what? He’s racist too,” Ivey wrote.
Combs, a multiplatinum-selling artist and famed Crocs fan, has admitted that he frequently used the racist battle flag during the early days of his career nearly a decade ago. “I’m from the South and I’m proud of that,” he told NPR.
“As I have grown in my time as an artist and as the world has changed drastically in the last five to seven years, I am now aware of how painful that image can be to someone else,” Combs added. “I would never want to be associated with something that brings so much hurt to someone else.”
The “Lovin’ On You” singer said he hoped his mea culpa would inspire proud Southerners, especially other country music artists, to follow suit.
“I know that I’m a very highly visible member of the country-music community right now,” he said. “And I want to use that position for good, and to say that people can change and people do want to change, and I’m one of those people trying.”
“I am trying to learn. I am trying to get better,” Combs added.
Combs’ apology comes on the heels of fellow country musician Morgan Wallen’s fallout with the media, after footage was unearthed that showed the 27-year-old performer using the “N-word” in the past. As a result, Wallen was disqualified from performing at or receiving recognition at the upcoming Academy of Country Music Awards.
- Chelsea vs Man United: Tuchel gives confidence to all players – Edouard MendyIn SportsFebruary 26, 2021Barcelona presidential candidate, Joan Laporta, has officially announced the individuals he will work with should he win the elections. Laporta, a ...[Read more]
- #UELDraw Round Of 16; Ibrahimovic Going Back To Old TraffordIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, SportsFebruary 26, 2021The Uefa Europa League #UELdraw round of 16, has just been released and the biggest pick of these round of games has got to be the show with two ...[Read more]
- I Don’t Think Its Right That LeBron James Talks About Politics – IbrahimovicIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, SportsFebruary 26, 2021AC Milan striker, Zlatan Ibrahimovic has criticised American superstar basketballer LeBron James, saying he respects him and what he does for the ...[Read more]
- Four killed, others injured in Jigawa road crashIn Local NewsFebruary 26, 2021Akwa Ibom State Police command has said it has arrested five persons allegedly involved in the renewed crisis between Ukonteghe Uda and Enwang ...[Read more]
- Six fake soldiers arrested in DeltaIn NewsFebruary 26, 2021Six persons suspected to be fake army officers have been arrested in Asaba, the Delta State capital. The suspects were arrested along Midwifery ...[Read more]
- Police arrest robbery, kidnap suspect in EnuguIn Local NewsFebruary 26, 2021Akwa Ibom State Police command has said it has arrested five persons allegedly involved in the renewed crisis between Ukonteghe Uda and Enwang ...[Read more]
- “I Am Not A Stroke Patient, Backer To Sender To Haters” – Femi AdesinaIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 26, 2021The Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari, Femi Adesina has released a statement to debunk rumours of him suffering ...[Read more]
- DonJazzy reacts as man announces plan to draw a tattoo of him on his foreheadIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 26, 2021Twitter user, Serfrankie, has announced his plan to draw a tattoo of Nigerian singer, Don Jazzy on his forehead. This is coming days after a lady was ...[Read more]
- Thousands of armed foreigners brought into the country to fight a civil war if Goodluck Jonathan didn’t surrender, are the ones carrying out attacks – MailafiaIn NewsFebruary 26, 2021Former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Obadiah Mailafia has said that the armed foreigners who were ...[Read more]
- “Don’t tattoo me on your body, buy me a Range Rover” – Actress, Lily Afegbai advises her fans (Video)In Celebrity NewsFebruary 26, 2021The popular Nigerian actress, Lily Afegbai in a video has instructed her fans not to tattoo her on their body, rather, they should buy her a Range ...[Read more]