There’s no place like home — especially when it’s printed in five days.
A Dutch couple is now living in Europe’s first totally 3D-printed house, which could signal a revolution in home building, the Sun reported Saturday.
Elize Lutz and Harrie Dekkers’s new two-bedroom home looks straight out of “The Flintstones.” It’s just over 1,000 square feet and looks like a big boulder with windows.
But while it may appear low-tech, it’s the latest innovation in real estate construction and was printed at a nearby factory. Homes like this can be built in five days and rent in the Netherlands for just under $1,000 per month.
“It’s a form that’s unusual, and when I saw it for the first time, it reminds me of something you knew when you were young,” Lutz said.
The house is made up of 24 concrete elements printed by a machine that squirts layer upon layer of concrete before the finishing touches, including a roof, were added.
The layers give a ribbed texture to its walls, inside and out. The process uses concrete that is toothpaste-like in consistency. The printed walls are hollow and get filled with an insulation material.
Dekkers said the home has great acoustics — even just when he plays music on his phone, and for quiet time, the silence inside the insulated walls of the home is incredibly peaceful.
“It gives a very good feel, because if you’re inside you don’t hear anything from outside,” he said.
“If you look at what time we actually needed to print this house it was only 120 hours,” said Bas Huysmans, chief exec of construction firm Weber Benelux.
“So all the elements, if we would have printed them in one go, it would have taken us less than five days because the big benefit is that the printer does not need to eat, does not need to sleep, it doesn’t need to rest,” Huysmans said.
The home is the product of collaboration between city hall, Eindhoven’s Technical University and construction companies called Project Milestone.
Theo Salet, a professor at Eindhoven’s Technical University, is working in 3D printing, also known as additive manufacturing, to find ways of making concrete construction more sustainable.
He told the Sun he doesn’t expect these 3D homes to start popping up everywhere, the process could be used with the building of traditional homes.
“If you ask me, will we build one million of the houses, as you see here? The answer is no. But will we use this technology as part of other houses combined with wooden structures…then my answer is yes,” he said.
- Kaduna Suffering From Evils El-Rufai Once Wished Rivers- WikeIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Rivers Governor Nyesom Wike has pulled the legs of his fellow Kaduna governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, after the latter wished ...[Read more]
- Alex Ekubo announces wedding plan, set to tie the knot with Fancy this yearIn Celebrity NewsMay 8, 2021Popular Nollywood actor, Alex Ekubo announces plans for his wedding with the love of his life, Fancy Acholonu that is set to happen this year. The ...[Read more]
- ‘I Lied I’m A Virgin & Now I’m In Trouble’ – Lady Sadly Shares OrdealIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT She shared this in her letter to wrote to the popular Nigerian social media relationship coach, Joro Olumofin. Her ordeal has to do ...[Read more]
- Women always make fun of me – Young man who sells periwinkle for a living (Video)In GossipMay 8, 2021A young trader identified as Victor Akpan, has spoken on how he makes a living selling periwinkles, and the challenges he encounters. The Oyingbo ...[Read more]
- Omah Lay Set To Drop A New Song After Fans ‘BEGGED’ HimIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian musician, Stanley Omah Didiah who is known in showbiz as Omah Lay has revealed he will be dropping a new song soon. This comes ...[Read more]
- Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid squads for LaLiga clash at Camp Nou confirmedIn SportsMay 8, 2021Former Real Madrid striker, Michael Owen, has predicted some of this weekend’s English Premier Leagues, EPL, fixtures. Manchester City will host ...[Read more]
- “Don’t involve me in whatever this is” – Vee slams Kiddwaya & TolaniBaj over Twitter verificationIn Celebrity NewsMay 8, 2021Talented singer and reality star, Vee Iye takes a swipe at her colleagues, Kiddwaya and TolaniBaj over a discussion on the Twitter verification badge ...[Read more]
- [PHOTO] Check Out The Oldest Palace In Ibadan That Is 200 YearsIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT We have chanced upon some photos of the oldest palace in Ibadan. These photos were shared in a recent post made by the popular Nigerian ...[Read more]
- [PHOTO] Check Out The Oldest Palace In Ibadan That Is 200 YearsIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021
- ‘Getting Money & Keeping Money Are Not The Same Sport’ – Yemi AladeIn Nigeria NewsMay 8, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian musician, Yemi Alade has conceded that there is a great difference between getting money and keeping money. She made this ...[Read more]