Eleven Madison Park, one of the world’s most acclaimed restaurants, has announced its menu is going vegan, according to a statement by chef-owner Daniel Humm on Monday.
In an exclusive interview with the Wall Street Journal, the Swiss-born chef said, “If Eleven Madison Park is truly at the forefront of dining and culinary innovation, to me it’s crystal clear that this is the only place to go next.”
The relaunched menu is described as “an eight- to 10-course menu in the main dining room consisting of entirely plant-based dishes,” according to their website. The three-Michelin star restaurant at 24th Street and Madison in Manhattan will reopen for service on June 10 after shutting down during the pandemic.
Humm admitted that their tradition of offering milk and honey service with coffee and tea would still be provided, noting that they wouldn’t technically be 100% vegan.
The move sets a whole new precedent in the world of fine dining, where few have been bold enough to commit to plant-based ingredients. Earlier this year, French restaurant ONA, an acronym for origine non-animale (“animal-free origin”), in Arès near Bordeaux, was the first of its kind in the nation to receive its first Michelin star. Last year, New York City’s vegetarian eatery NIX also earned the coveted honors — just before closing due to pandemic setbacks.
Humm told NPR that he began thinking more earnestly about health and sustainability while the restaurant was closed last year.
“The way we have sourced our food, the way we’re consuming our food, the way we eat meat, it is not sustainable,” he said. The 45-year-old restauranteur also helped to feed out-of-work and underprivileged families across the city last year, an enterprise that has continued into 2021.
Despite the average $500 price tag on a meal at Eleven Madison Park, Humm assured that the culinary experience would remain top-notch.
“Guests have never come to us to just eat a piece of steak or lobster,” he told NPR. “They’ve always come to us to be on a journey.”
As always, Humm added, “Of course, it’s about deliciousness in the end.”
- GPLwk23: Karela finally win; Dwarfs vs Legon Cities abandoned after fans threatened RefereesIn Ghana, NewsMay 9, 2021Karela United finally secured a win at the 6th time of asking since the second round of the league started more than one month ago with a hard fought ...[Read more]
- Man joyfully tattoos face of reality star, Mercy Eke on his arm (Video)In Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Die-hard fan inks the tattoo of the face of his favourite reality star, Mercy Eke, a.k.a Lambo on his arm as he joyfully shows it off. A video making ...[Read more]
- Times Square shooter was allegedly aiming for his brother, sources revealIn USAMay 9, 2021The NYPD is still hunting for the suspect, identified by sources as 31-year-old illegal CD peddler Farrakhan Muhammad. The suspected Times Square ...[Read more]
- Video shows ‘hero’ NYPD cop running with wounded child after Times Square shootingIn USAMay 9, 2021Stunning surveillance footage captures a “hero” female cop frantically running through Times Square with the youngest victim of Saturday’s shooting ...[Read more]
- “Never set out to make money from your customers” – Reno Omokri warn entrepreneursIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Public speaker and author, Reno Omokri has urged entrepreneurs to desist from making money from their customers, urging them to add meaning to their ...[Read more]
- “New meme loading” – Reactions as Osita Iheme “Pawpaw” shares photo of himself drinking waterIn Celebrity NewsMay 9, 2021Netizens react as a veteran pint-size actor, Osita Iheme, popularly known as “Pawpaw” shares a cool picture of himself drinking table water. The ...[Read more]
- MTA’s Sarah Feinberg says subway safety will improve as riders returnIn USAMay 9, 2021New York City’s subways will be safer once the subways hit 4 or 5 million daily riders, Interim Transit President Sarah Feinberg said Sunday — while ...[Read more]
- Niger boat accident death toll hits 28In Local News, NewsMay 9, 2021The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) busted a drug cartel that sells drugged cookies, cakes, and brownies to residents of Abuja and ...[Read more]
- Abuja: NDLEA bursts cartel selling drugs online, arrests 5In Local NewsMay 9, 2021The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) busted a drug cartel that sells drugged cookies, cakes, and brownies to residents of Abuja and ...[Read more]
- Man Renounces His Position In His Family As The First BornIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A man identified as Kingsley Ifeanyi has renounced his position as the firstborn in his family. Obviously overwhelmed by the enormity ...[Read more]