With 1.6 million Instagram posts and counting, the #HairLoss hashtag is one of the few things that has genuinely thrived in the last 18 months.
Whether you’re a COVID-19 survivor or merely reeling from the stress of the pandemic,
finding strands of hair all over your WFH office is textbook 2021.
To the rescue: a raft of hair-loss prevention pills, powders, supplements and serums chock-full of targeted vitamins, minerals and collagen — the superstar beauty ingredient du jour.
While most are ingestible, others, such as the celebbeloved Vegamour Gro Hair Serum and Kérastase Initialiste Advanced Scalp and Hair Concentrate, are slathered right on the roots of the problem.
Sales of Nutrafol have been booming largely due to COVID, says Giorgos Tsetis, co-founder and CEO of the dietary supplement brand, which is sold on its website and through medical practices. “Our network of physicians has been reporting higher-than-ever numbers of telogen effluvium, the temporary kind of hair loss due to stress or shock to the system.”
Beverly Hills-based hair transplant surgeon and restoration expert Craig Ziering has been slammed by so much demand on both coasts that he recently added a Greenwich, Conn., location alongside his Upper East Side practice.
“Hair loss is devastating,” he says. “But there are at-home solutions people can use to disrupt the telogen effluvium and slow down the shedding — everything from supplements to prescription-grade topicals and laser caps, as well as in-office nonsurgical therapies like our Amnio-Z protein injections.”
While the desire to gobble every hot new hair vitamin is understandable, Ziering cautions anyone experiencing hair loss to pick just one high-end “combination” formula containing biotin, vitamins B and D, magnesium, folate, iron, omega-3 fatty acids and niacin.
Viviscal Professional and Nutrafol, which he stocks in his office, are two good over-the-counter bets, he says.
Founded in 2019 by New Zealand naturopath and nutritionist Libby Matthews, the powdered collagen brand Dose & Co. caught the eye of Khloé Kardashian, who signed on as global spokesperson and partner in 2020, just as the line was launching in the US.
With a mission of making premium collagen more accessible, the range includes both flavored and unflavored options, as well as creamers that can make getting your daily hit of collagen — thought to be beneficial for skin, hair and nails — as easy as sipping
your morning joe.
Another celebrated skin-care ingredient, vitamin C, has found its way into a two-step topical hair-loss product.
First launched in Japan, Vitabrid C12 Hair Tonic Professional Set includes a vial of vitamin C powder that’s mixed into the accompanying tonic and applied directly to the scalp.
Together, they target a deficiency of a specific type of naturally occurring collagen (17A1) that can result in undernourished hair follicles.
So, how quickly can diligent daily use of any of these high-tech hair brews yield visible results?
Even with Nutrafol, a leader in the category, it can take up to six months, says Tsetis, although “secondary side benefits” such as stronger nails and a “boosted mood” could happen earlier.
While you’re waiting, simple lifestyle upgrades may speed up the return to lusher locks.
“Diet is so significant,” says Ziering. “Protein, leafy vegetables, salmon, avocado, berries, nuts — all that supports healthy hair growth. Other lifestyle changes, like staying hydrated, exercising, meditation, yoga and getting into a good sleep routine also help.”
In other words, nail your self-care and manage your stress while you’re popping those pills, and great hair will follow.
- Tuchel will be sacked if he loses UCL final, fails to finish in top four – JenningsIn SportsMay 18, 2021Chelsea fan, Rory Jennings, has said manager Thomas Tuchel will be sacked by Roman Abramovich, if he does not win silverware and finishes outside the ...[Read more]
- True Love Can Only Be Complete With Money — Actress, Chelsea EzeIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nollywood actress and photo model, Chelsea Eze has dropped her two cents as she shares insights into what true love entails. In a ...[Read more]
- Real Madrid places Eden Hazard, 9 other players for saleIn SportsMay 18, 2021Real Madrid is ready to sell at least eleven players this summer transfer window, according to Diario AS. According to the Spanish newspaper, top of ...[Read more]
- Explosion rocks Gbenga Daniel’s hotel in Abeokuta, kills two, injures three othersIn Local News, NewsMay 18, 2021A technician and a yet-to-be identified persons have been confirmed dead in a gas explosion that rocked Conference Hotel, Abeokuta, the Ogun State ...[Read more]
- Unathi Nkanyi Dazzles In Her Recent Photos Flaunting Her New HairstyleIn South AfricaMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Unathi Nkanyi dazzled in her recent photos where she flaunted her new hairstyle. The renowned musician, actress and media personality ...[Read more]
- Man United’s Bruno Fernandes wins Goal of Season awardIn SportsMay 18, 2021Manchester United midfielder, Bruno Fernandes, has won the club’s Goal of the 2020/21 Season. Fernandes won the prize for his astonishing effort ...[Read more]
- Actress, Nkechi Blessing Reveals The One Thing She Is Addicted ToIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Sighted on her Instagram page, the 32-year-old mother of revealed that traveling is what she is addicted to and she described it as the ...[Read more]
- Son of man, 80, hit by stray bullet in Bronx says gun violence is ‘out of our control’In USAMay 18, 2021The son of an 80-year-old military veteran who was struck by a stray bullet in the Bronx said the violence in their neighborhood feels “out of our ...[Read more]
- Never Make The Mistake Of Going Back To Sophia Momodu – Kemi Olunloyo Warns DavidoIn Nigeria NewsMay 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT Controversial journalist Kemi Olunloyo has warned Davido never to make the mistake of going back to his first baby mama ...[Read more]
- LaLiga Santander: Atletico Madrid known for suffering – Luis SuarezIn SportsMay 18, 2021Luis Suarez says Atletico Madrid suffered in the league this season and that he had not expected such to happen. Suarez said this amid a tense La ...[Read more]