Some Americans are finding little comfort in returning to the office — with retailers reporting a rise in the sale of dressy clothing, including pants with buttons and zippers.
As New York and other cities begin sending employees back to work amid decreasing COVID-19 cases, sales of comfy knock-around duds that people have been wearing while working from home are taking a back seat to more professional gear, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday.
“The fact that sales came back so strongly so quickly before offices [fully] reopened speaks to the need for people to dress up as they get out there and socialize,” said Haggar Clothing Co. CEO Michael Stitt to the outlet.
Haggar’s employees are currently working overtime to provide enough blazers and trousers to retailers, the company said.
L.L. Bean, Inc., told the Journal its sales of pants with zippers and buttons have recently begun outselling elastic-waistband ones.
And Saks Fifth Avenue reported peddling more formal women’s clothing — including dresses, sandals and blouses — than before the pandemic surfaced last year.
Still, that doesn’t mean many people won’t be wearing comfier clothes at times, continuing the pandemic-era trend and in anticipation of potentially fewer in-person office shifts.
“I don’t foresee any business circumstance that would require me to wear a suit,” Michael Stiver, a 24-year-old online businessman from Washington, DC, told the paper — adding that he has already ditched his dress shirts.
Retailers said many shoppers appear to also be looking to wear cross-over clothes that can serve several purposes.
For example, Macy’s said it is seeing more people looking for slippers with the search words “indoor/outdoor.”
“People are figuring out ways to take their casual clothes out of the house,” the department store chain’s chief merchandising officer, Nata Dvir, told the WSJ.
Levi Strauss & Co. noted that it is selling more casual “mom jeans’’ — or pants that have more give around the hips and thighs. “The looser fits are our fastest-growing styles,” President Jennifer Sey told the outlet.
The easing of pandemic restrictions has also paved the way for people to return to in-person shopping, retailers said — as they reported an uptick in foot traffic.
Resume consultant Michelle Diamond, 46, of Beverly Hills, Calif., said she just recently bought a pair of white beach shorts at her first shopping trip to a clothing store in more than a year.
“I am starting to buy real clothes again,” Diamond told WSJ.
“It makes me feel alive.”
- Women’s FA Cup Round of 32 draw heldIn GhanaMay 10, 2021Advertisement The draw for the round of 32 of the 2020/21 Women’s FA Cup season took place on Monday, May 10, 2021. The Teams were grouped into five ...[Read more]
- Nigerians in diaspora with expired passports can come back home for renewal – FGIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, says Nigerians in diaspora with expired passports can return home for the renewal “without fear of ...[Read more]
- COVID-19: FG re-imposes curfew, restriction on mass gatheringIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021The Federal Government has re-introduced a nationwide curfew to curtail further spread of COVID-19. National Incident Manager, Mukhtar Mohammed, ...[Read more]
- No Body Has A Manual To Keep A Man – Nkechi Blessing Subtly ShadesIn Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Actress Nkechi Blessing has subtly shaded her colleagues whose marriage has ended saying no one has a manual to keep a man and a ...[Read more]
- “There’s nothing worse than a broke famous person” – DJ Big NIn Celebrity NewsMay 10, 2021Nigerian hip-hop Dj Big N dishes out advice to entrepreneurs and his fans as he disclosed there’s nothing worse than a broke famous person. Big N ...[Read more]
- NYC shootings keep soaring, up 86 percent over 2020: NYPD dataIn USAMay 10, 2021The gun violence in Gotham more than doubled last week — capped by a wild shooting in Times Square that left a 4-year-old girl among three people ...[Read more]
- “Nobody has a manual to keep a man” – Nkechi Blessing renders advice to ladiesIn Celebrity NewsMay 10, 2021Nollywood actress, Nkechi Blessing Sunday has disclosed that there’s no manual in keeping a man that has refused to stay with his woman. She took to ...[Read more]
- I No Get Sugar Daddy, Pls Patronize Me – Tacha Cries Out (Video)In Nigeria NewsMay 10, 2021ADVERTISEMENT BBNaij a star Tacha ADVERTISEMENT has cried out to her fans and followers and all Nigerians begging them to patronize her as she ...[Read more]
- Leopard still on the loose a week after escaping from Chinese zooIn LifestyleMay 10, 2021This big cat is still on the lam. Weeks after three leopards escaped from an eastern China safari park, one is still at large — and the park is ...[Read more]
- NYC subway stations will now offer COVID-19 vaccinesIn USAMay 10, 2021Some Big Apple subways and LIRR and Metro-North stations are being turned into pop-up COVID-19 vaccination sites this week in an effort to boost ...[Read more]