San Diego teachers may soon be allowed to bring their own school-age children to work with them under a new agreement reached with the teachers union and the district, Fox News has learned.
The “Children in the Workplace Policy,” was one of several items agreed upon between the San Diego Unified School District and the San Diego Education Association in mid-March. The agreements will apply to the 2020 to 2021 school year.
Per the tentative agreement from March 12, San Diego schools will allow teachers to bring their own children if they are enrolled in a district school but do not have access to their own onsite learning and the site “can accommodate an age appropriate setting following health and safety guidelines.”
If such an option is available for a teacher’s child – and it doesn’t conflict with health and safety protocols – San Diego teachers’ children will have access to extended learning opportunities at the teacher’s school.
It remains unclear what constitutes an “age appropriate setting” what types of extended learning opportunities will be provided to a teacher’s child that is not available at the child’s own school.
“This request further illustrates that kids need schools. For over a year many parents have had to make a choice between their career and their child’s education. It doesn’t have to be this way. The answer is simple. Get all students into the classroom full- time, 5 days a week, which is exactly what the science supports,” Leslie Hofmeister, a San Diego parent, told Fox News.
“This would eliminate any need for a teacher to bring their child into the classroom and would prevent yet another potential disruption to our children’s learning environment.”
The school board is expected to vote Tuesday on the “Children in the Workplace Policy” as well as other policy agreements.
Fox News has reached out to spokespeople for both the school district and teacher’s union seeking comment but did not hear back before publication.
SDUSD students are currently learning in an online-only format and are expected to move into a hybrid model next week, according to the district’s website.
The district, which includes more than 200 schools, said each school has completed a reopening safety checklist on measures to prevent the spread of COVID.
“I’m seeing two related themes. First, unions demanding or getting free childcare and exceptions to safety rules. Slap in the face to parents who have dealt with this all year,” Reopen California Schools Founder Jonathan Zachreson told Fox News.
“A big reason why they are demanding it is because schools are offering ridiculous hybrid plans that don’t work for working parents, which is theme two. All these hybrid plans are horrible. Odd day times. Students in same households going on different days. Zoom at school, teaches not even on-site, etc. If schools would just go back to full-time, everyone wins.”
The agreement on children in the workplace comes after Fox News Digital exclusively broke the story about San Diego teachers being given the option to replace work shifts at the schools with teaching migrant children in-person at the San Diego Convention center.
- “May God make me the perfect husband for you” – Actor, Kenneth Okonkwo celebrates his wife on her birthdayIn Celebrity NewsApril 22, 2021Veteran Nollywood actor Kenneth Okonkwo took to social media to celebrate his beautiful and gorgeous wife, Ifeoma Okonkwo as she turns a year older ...[Read more]
- What Game Are You Playing By Withholding Patients’ Prognoses From Them — Actor, Gideon Okeke Calls Out Nigerian Medical Doctors [VIDEO]In Nigeria NewsApril 22, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Popular Nigerian actor, Gideon Okeke has called out some Nigerian doctors who withhold the prognoses of their patients. Gideon Okeke, ...[Read more]
- Pretty Mike Slams Didi Ekanem After She Revealed The Best Thing A Man Could Do For HerIn Nigeria NewsApril 22, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Socialite Pretty Mike of Lagos has slammed actress Didi Ekanem after she revealed the best thing a man could do for her in life among ...[Read more]
- Nigerian woman, Raufikat Oyawoye defeats nine foreigners to emerge winner of The Great Canadian Baking ShowIn Gossip, LifestyleApril 22, 2021A Nigerian woman identified as Raufikat Oyawoye, has made her country proud and penned her name in the history books as she emerged winner of The ...[Read more]
- “I’m dating my cupboard, marriage is a fraud” – Media personality, Moet AbebeIn Celebrity NewsApril 22, 2021Media personality Moet Abebe has revealed publicly that she’s in a deep relationship with her cupboard and marriage isn’t for her because it is ...[Read more]
- Kotoko is the biggest club in Ghana – Fabio GamaIn GhanaApril 22, 2021Asante Kotoko’s Brazilian midfielder, Fabio Gama, believes the Porcupine Warriors are the best team in the country. Kotoko are top of the Ghana ...[Read more]
- Casinos Looking to ReopenIn ArticleApril 22, 2021In the past couple of months, traveling was suspended by the Canadian government based on the ongoing pandemic. The rule of social distancing was ...[Read more]
- Lady inks tattoo of Cross River State Governor , Ben Ayade, professes her love for himIn Celebrity NewsApril 22, 2021A yet-to-be-identified lady has professed her love for the executive governor of Cross River State, Ben Ayade as she inks a tattoo of the governor’s ...[Read more]
- Biafra: UK asylum was arranged by Buhari – MASSOB allegesIn Biafra, NewsApril 22, 2021National officials of the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN) have vowed that its ongoing nationwide strike would not be called off until state ...[Read more]
- Man fills bowling ball with father’s ashes — then bowls perfect gameIn LifestyleApril 22, 2021Big ups to this bowler in the sky. Following the death of his father John Hinkle Sr., son John Jr., a two-time NCAA bowling champion, laced-up to ...[Read more]