That’s one way to experience raw emotion.
Social-media chuckleheads are touting a vomit-inducing new way to experience artificial highs — consuming rotten meat.
The revolting trend, dubbed “high meat,” reportedly refers to any meat that’s been stored untreated for months, or even years, until putrid, IFLScience reported. When eaten, this past-prime protein is said to induce euphoria like a neolithic narcotic.
And while the heave-worthy hobby has been pimped for decades in the internet’s underbelly, it’s currently going viral thanks to Twitter gourmands sharing their experiences with this trippy tartare.
“A friend convinced me to eat raw rotten meat (high meat) yesterday and it actually felt great,” gushed one high meat-head on Twitter. “Very interesting since everyone would think it’s crazy.”
They also tweeted a photo of the steak in question, which had decomposed into a veritable bouillabaisse of bacteria.
“WTF” seemed to be the overwhelming response from commenters. “Losing my mind over this,” wrote one spoiled steak skeptic.
Another post captioned “please eradicate the human species already,” featured a screenshot of a Reddit thread from six years ago, in which another “aged meat” proponent espoused the virtues of eating rotten meat. The expired carpaccio enthusiast explained how leaving meat to rot can boost vitamins, reduce acid content and produce noticeable amounts of ammonia, methane and hydrogen sulfide.
“People report a feeling of high and euphoria after eating it,” they wrote of the zombified paleo diet.
In 2017, YouTuber sv3rige decided to test fetid flesh’s effects on camera by scarfing down a jarful of slimy gray steak sludge he claimed was a year old.
Despite reportedly being “acidic” and “hard to swallow,” the intrepid gastronaut concluded that it was definitely “high meat” as he could “already feel it.”
The science behind the euphoric sensation remains unclear, although Singapore-based dietitian Naras Lapsys has chalked up the high to the smorgasbord of microbes residing on the meat, Vice reported.
“Some of those bacterias might have chemical properties that are going to give you a high, or hallucination, or a feeling of euphoria,” he said.
Although others speculate the effects could simply be delirium and dehydration due to indigestion.
Needless to say, experts advise against consuming this moonshined meat.
IFLScience reported that “while meat is regularly left to dry out into various treats, such as jerky and cured meats,” there is a huge difference “between rotten and fermented.”
“Fermentation is a controlled process using specific environmental conditions to grow beneficial microorganisms with the meat,” they explained. “Rotting is where the meat has spoiled and is contaminated with harmful microbial life,” including salmonella and staphylococcus aureus.
Eating the latter can reportedly cause ailments ranging from upset stomachs to food poisoning so acute that sufferers remain hospitalized for days. Indeed, some “high meat” eaters reported explosive incontinence following their decayed steak forays.
“If we’re eating rotten foods, the question is: will our stomach acid do a good enough job to stop them from poisoning us?” said Lapsys. “And the answer is often no.”
This isn’t the first time a foodie’s attempt to go raw has gone seriously awry. Last June, an unfortunate Chinese epicure had to have half his liver removed after it became a parasite playground due to his penchant for eating ceviche.
- Iniubong Was A Good Girl, She Promised To Start Work And Make Me Proud – Aggrieved Mother SpeaksIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The foster mother of 26 year old Iniubong Umoren, Mrs. Ime Ekpo has expressed her sadness to Sunday Vanguard. Recall that Ms Umoren was ...[Read more]
- Madness Going On In Some Parts Of The Country – BuhariIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigeria’s President Buhari has taken the opportunity to condole with all those who lost family members in what he termed the “madness” ...[Read more]
- ‘Never Marry A Mummy’s Boy’ – Counselor Adofoli To LadiesIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Ghanaian counselor, Counselor Frank Adofoli has advised ladies against marrying a mummy’s boy. The renowned counselor made this known ...[Read more]
- Blessing Okoro Speaks About Who A Wife Material Really IsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian relationship coach, Blessing Okoro has spoken about who a wife material really is. The controversial personality made this ...[Read more]
- Regina Daniels Captured In Some Lovely Photos With Tonto Dikeh & Other Nollywood StarsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Young Nollywood actress, Regina Daniels has been captured in some lovely photos she shared on her Instagram handle. She was captured in ...[Read more]
- Davido’s Lawyer, Bobo Ajudua Celebrates Davido For Being In The Music Game For Ten YearsIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The personal lawyer for Nigerian musician, Davido, Prince Bobo Ajudua has celebrated the musician for being in the music game for ten ...[Read more]
- Sam Allardyce reacts to being relegated from Premier LeagueIn Premier League, SportsMay 9, 2021West Brom manager, Sam Allardyce, has reacted after he suffered relegation from the Premier League for the first time in his managerial career. The ...[Read more]
- Davido Celebrates 10 Years Of Being At The Top In The Music GameIn Nigeria NewsMay 9, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Nigerian musician, David Adeleke who is known as Davido is celebrating ten years of being in the music game. The award-winning musician ...[Read more]
- Ex-NYS Senate leader Malcolm Smith also released early from prisonIn USAMay 9, 2021Former state Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith was quietly sprung early from prison last year — and is being allowed to complete the remainder of ...[Read more]
- Droves of NY nursing home staffers still not vaccinated against COVID-19In USAMay 9, 2021Huge numbers of employees at New York nursing homes still haven’t been vaccinated against COVID-019 — with more than 60 percent of staffers at some ...[Read more]