New evidence released Tuesday documented so-called nodules in the eyes of patients battling severe COVID-19, with scientists hypothesizing causes like virus-related inflammation and positioning patients face down to improve oxygenation.
A team of French researchers published findings in the Radiology journal, drawing on 129 patients with severe COVID-19 who had brain MRIs across 16 hospitals from March 4 to May 1. Nine patients, or 7 percent, had at least one so-called “hyperintense nodule” toward the back of the eye in the “macular region,” key for clear vision. Nearly all patients in the small subset had nodules in both eyes.
It is still unclear exactly what causes the nodules, though scientists suggested virus-related inflammation or the prone position (when patients are placed face down for better oxygenation) for an extended period. Seven of the nine patients were in the prone position and researchers therefore hypothesized issues related to “inadequate drainage of the veins of the eyes.”
The team is following up with patients to check for any vision loss and have since started another study in mild-to-moderate COVID-19 patients to see if the issue affects these patients too.
Six of the patients in the study were obese, two had diabetes and two had hypertension, study authors said. Eight patients underwent intensive care due to their severe bout of COVID-19. Six patients had brain MRIs done because they were slow to wake after sedation was stopped.
“We showed that a few patients with severe COVID-19 from the French COVID-19 cohort had one or several nodules of the posterior pole of the globe,” Dr. Augustin Lecler, study lead author and associate professor at the University of Paris and neuroradiologist from the Department of Neuroradiology at the Foundation Adolphe de Rothschild Hospital in Paris, said in a related release. “This is the first time these findings have been described using MRI.”
The study authors suggested screenings may help in managing these potentially serious manifestations affecting the eyes.
The study had several limitations, like lack of a control group and samples testing for SARS-CoV-2 in the eyes and conjunctiva, or the membrane covering the eye and eyelids. Due to these limitations, the scientists wrote, in part, “it is impossible to assess the direct causality of the virus in our findings.”
- Family cries out for justice as man donates family house to church (Video)In Viral NewsMarch 1, 2021An embattled family has called out for help after their son donated the family house to the Christ Embassy Church as a seed offering. According to ...[Read more]
- Queen T!!! Tacha Is Looking Like A Snack In DenimIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021BBNaija star Tacha has a few lessons for our darling KOKOnistas on how to wear Denim and slay in them. The TV star stepped into the new month rocking ...[Read more]
- The Biggest Problem With Nollywood Is Stereotyping – Swanky JKAIn Celebrity News, COVID-19March 1, 2021One of the country’s biggest and fast-rising actor Jidekene Achufusi popularly known as Swanky JKA, who was the lead actor on the Ramsey Nouah ...[Read more]
- Massive iceberg ‒ larger than NYC ‒ breaks off in AntarcticaIn LifestyleMarch 1, 2021A massive iceberg, larger than New York City, has broken off from an ice shelf in Antarctica, according to researchers on Friday. The ...[Read more]
- Chelsea vs Man United: Alan Shearer gives verdict on Callum Hudson-Odoi’s handball incidentIn SportsMarch 1, 2021Newcastle United legend, Alan Shearer, has hit out at the rules concerning handball incidents in the English Premier League (EPL) following Chelsea’s ...[Read more]
- Erica Nlewedim Features in New Action Movie Alongside Linda OsifoIn Celebrity NewsMarch 1, 2021Popular reality star, Erica Nlewedim has made it to the screens as she features a new action movie titled, Devil in Agbada. The disqualified ...[Read more]
- Crystal Palace vs Man United: Focus on game, be clinical to win – De Gea warns Red DevilsIn SportsMarch 1, 2021Newcastle United legend, Alan Shearer, has hit out at the rules concerning handball incidents in the English Premier League (EPL) following Chelsea’s ...[Read more]
- BBNaija Dorathy Bachor Is Flexing And Pressing Necks In Stunning New SnapsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021It’s a brand new month and our favourite celebrities are not slowing down their fashion games at all. To be fair it looks like the month of March is ...[Read more]
- Equality for All â A Conversation Hosted By 360Hub in Partnership with Techuncode and the Lagos State GovernmentIn NewsMarch 1, 2021In preparation for the Lagos economic summit, Ehingbeti 2021, which was held last week, the Lagos state government, in partnership with the leading ...[Read more]
- Your ill-advised statement has lowered the dignity of the judiciary – GJA breaks silence on Judicial Service media letterIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021The Ghana Journalist Association (GJA) has described an order by the Judicial Service directing media houses to delete all offensive, incendiary, ...[Read more]