HARSANY, Hungary – In a small village in eastern Hungary, more than 20,000 teddy bears are “hibernating” in a warehouse, waiting for the coronavirus pandemic to ease so they can bring joy to children in local nurseries.
Nicknamed “Teddy Bear Mama”, Valeria Schmidt looks after her precious collection of bears, now packed up in plastic bags for their unusually long winter sleep as Hungary remains in partial lockdown due to a resurgence of the virus.
“I give away teddy bears to nurseries, pre-schools and poor families. I make exhibitions for (children’s) institutions, a kind of therapeutic teddy bear corner with about 30-50 bears which the children can play with,” Schmidt said.
“Unfortunately, because of the virus situation, I cannot do these now.”
The 62-year-old Schmidt, who has four adult children, has been collecting teddy bears for 40 years and entered the Guinness Book of Records in 2019 for the world’s largest collection of them.
Her passion for the bears stems from her childhood traumas. Schmidt’s parents divorced when she was four, she grew up in very poor conditions and her mother drank heavily.
“Not only we did not have toys but we barely had clothes,” she said. “That is why I wanted a teddy bear so I could hug it and get some love from it.”
She hugs and strokes her teddies many times a day and she says they have cured her soul.
“Now these teddy bears make up for all the hunger, all the lack of love, lack of toys and everything. Especially when I see children coming to see my exhibition and I see the joy and happiness in their eyes.”
- Nigerian woman expresses regret after finding out the baby she abandoned at age 2 is now a kingIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A woman simply known as Ngozi has cried out in regret for treating her husband unfairly and abandoning her baby many years ago. She revealed that she ...[Read more]
- “She is a just friend” – Ned Nwoko clears the air on affair with Zambian mistressIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021Popular politician, Ned Nwoko has cleared the air on his move to marry an eighth wife, after an alleged affair with a Zambian, Phyllis Thompson. It ...[Read more]
- Lawmakers ask Ministry of Health to stop its plans to use N10 billion in production of COVID19 vaccinesIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021The National Assembly Joint Committee on Health has asked the Ministry of Health to suspend further actions on plans to utilize the N10 billion ...[Read more]
- Petition challenging our client’s dead-on-arrival – Lawyers for Assin North MPIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Lawyers for Assin North Member of Parliament(mp) James Gyakye Quayson are asking the Cape Coast High Court in the Central Region to dismiss the ...[Read more]
- EPL: Arteta gives injury updates on Partey, Smith Rowe ahead of Man Utd clashIn EPL, SportsJanuary 27, 2021Odion Ighalo, on Tuesday, paid tribute to Manchester United with a farewell letter. The Nigerian striker thanked Man United management and fans ...[Read more]
- The north became NDC when Adu Boahen said give them kerosene not electricity – John Tia recalls ’92 insultsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former Information Minister John Tia has revealed why people in the Northern part of Ghana always vote for the National Democratic Congress (NDC). ...[Read more]
- “Richest ashewo” – Bobrisky says while flaunting jewelry worth N12.4MIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021The most talked-about male barbie in Nigeria, Bobrisky has flaunted the worth of jewelry he wore to a date worth over N12.4m. In a recent video on ...[Read more]
- Tinubu gave me N2m to fuel my car in 2009 – Yoruba activist, Sunday IgbohoIn NewsJanuary 27, 2021Popular Yoruba activist, Sunday Igboho has disclosed that he met with former Governor of Lagos state and national leader of the All Progressives ...[Read more]
- Why Ewe traditional rulers boycotted Rawlings’ funeral explained, his wife Konadu fingeredIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former National Women of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Anita Desoso says the Ewe Chiefs and family of the late former President of Ghana ...[Read more]
- Rawlings’ revolution was Ghana’s gateway to real development – Former MinisterIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 27, 2021Former Information Minister and former Member of Parliament(MP) for the Talensi Constituency in the Upper East Region, John Tia says Rawlings’ ...[Read more]