Now single ladies aren’t the only ones to put a ring on.
Grooms-to-be increasingly want their own engagement bling, a trend that Tiffany & Co. helped solidify when it debuted its first-ever men’s engagement line this month.
Tiffany’s platinum and titanium designs feature a single emerald-cut diamond, up to 5 carats, set in a knife-edge band in what the jewelry retailer described as a “bold departure from the traditional wedding band.”
Prices have not yet been revealed for the new designs, which are set to become available at the end of the month, but emerald-cut women’s engagement rings run from $2,900 to $113,500.
The luxury label first introduced its iconic, six-pronged Tiffany setting for ladies in 1886 — and betrothed bros took to social media to say the new collection was long overdue.
“Finally!” wrote Rowan Storey in an Instagram comment about the news. ”Gay men in particular have needed this … When I propose to my partner I want to give him a ring just as valuable as those which men usually give women.”
Searches for male engagement rings have grown by more than 66 percent in recent years, according to a report by global fashion search platform Lyst. Meanwhile, celebrities including Ed Sheeran and Michael Bublé have worn versions of the baubles.
“I felt that the concept of an engagement ring for women only was concerning,” recently engaged Birmingham, UK, gardener Joe Belcher told The Post. He thought his fiancée shouldn’t be the only one to wear a sparkly symbol of their love — he also wanted a “sign to let others know that I was off the market.”
So the couple had a friend design them both rings. “Since getting the ring I’ve felt more engaged,” he said, noting that he, too, now has “a constant reminder of that fact.”
Not only does Belcher’s new band signify his commitment, it offers a more egalitarian vision of what marriage in the 21st century looks like.
“A long time ago, women wore the ring to show that a man had bought them,” relationship coach Jaime Bronstein told The Post.
“Men have typically not worn them, while women show outwardly that they are taken. It’s almost like men still have this grace period of freedom.”
On the other hand, when both partners wear a ring upon engagement, Bronstein said the ritual becomes less about property ownership and more about “mutual commitment” and “both people showing they belong to each other.”
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s mother confirms his next clubIn SportsMay 13, 2021Premier League clubs remain in favour of the “armpit offsides”, as they prepare to discuss their Video Assistant Referee (VAR) survey, the UK Mirror ...[Read more]
- EPL: Jorginho clears air on leaving Chelsea after 1-0 defeat to ArsenalIn EPL, SportsMay 13, 2021Premier League clubs remain in favour of the “armpit offsides”, as they prepare to discuss their Video Assistant Referee (VAR) survey, the UK Mirror ...[Read more]
- Auto crash claims 2 lives in OnitshaIn Local NewsMay 13, 2021A court in Cyprus has sentenced a Nigerian, Chrstopher Ezeh linked to the murder of another Nigerian student, Walshak Augustine Ngok to 27 years in ...[Read more]
- Nigerian sentenced to 27 years in prison for killing fellow student in CyprusIn Local NewsMay 13, 2021A court in Cyprus has sentenced a Nigerian, Chrstopher Ezeh linked to the murder of another Nigerian student, Walshak Augustine Ngok to 27 years in ...[Read more]
- Colleges pushed anew for reparations for slavery, racismIn LifestyleMay 13, 2021PROVIDENCE, R.I. — For Brown University students, the Ivy League college’s next step in its yearslong quest to atone for its legacy of slavery is ...[Read more]
- Biafra: IPOB won’t attack Lagos – Ohanaeze Ndigbo president assures Sanwo-OluIn Biafra, NewsMay 13, 2021The Attorney General of the Federation AGF and Minister of Justice, Malam Abubakar, has hinted that the federal government will resuscitate special ...[Read more]
- Teachers union chief cites Stuyvesant HS in ripping standardized testingIn USAMay 13, 2021American Federation of Teachers president Randi Weingarten critiqued standardize testing Thursday — and specifically cited the racial makeup of ...[Read more]
- ‘When Is This Pandemic Ending, It’s Enough Now’ – Refilwe ModiselleIn South AfricaMay 13, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The renowned media personality made this known in a recent post she made on her verified social media handle on Twitter. READ ALSO: ...[Read more]
- ABSU student allegedly fakes own kidnapIn Local NewsMay 13, 2021The Abia State University internal security has arrested a 200 level Political Science student, George Nnamdi, who allegedly faked his own kidnap. ...[Read more]
- Thickleeyonce Drops Stunning Photos To Get Her Followers TalkingIn South AfricaMay 13, 2021ADVERTISEMENT The renowned lifestyle blogger and model shared these lovely photos on her personal social media handle on the popular social media ...[Read more]