When fitfluencer Janelle Ginestra says it’s time to do “WAP,” please note: It ain’t your mama’s doo-wop.
With 17.8 million views on TikTok, Ginestra’s Cardi B-inspired workout routine — the crown jewel of her Naughty Girl Fitness series — is giving fitness a facelift for 2021, one twerk at a time.
“I wanted to create a mix of badass workouts dripping with the element of fun,” Ginestra, 31, told The Post of her certifiably sexy classes, which are available in full on DanceTutorials.TV.
“We’re doing squats, lunges, crunches, pushups, punches and kicks. But instead of feeling like you’re doing a bunch of random workout moves, you feel like you’ve put on a whole dance performance to your favorite songs.”
She added: “I’m going to have you popping that ass!”
The Los Angeles-based professional choreographer debuted her Naughty Girl Fitness slimnastics on TikTok in November. She’s since stacked a student body of more than 1.5 million digital devotees, dedicated to bouncing their butts into shape with her 20-minute training sessions.
“My favorite moves are the twerking pushups,” fan Alia Simone, 26, told The Post. “The exercise choreography is really dope. After a full class, I feel the burn, a good burn, and I’m proud of myself for getting in a good workout.”
Ginestra has choreographed a series of sweat sessions to songs including “Tap In,” by Saweetie, and “Juicy,” by Doja Kat. But her most popular workout video to date is her re-creation of the “WAP” routine — not surprising, given that Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion’s video for the raunchy hit has nearly 325 million YouTube views.
Plus, these steps have benefits beyond just looking seriously sexy.
Cardi’s signature move — twerking on all fours — is a full-body flex. The entire body has to work hard to stabilize the position, ensuring that the core is fired up, as well as the quads and arm muscles.
“The mix of the cardio from twerking and the conditioning from the bodyweight exercises is super important for losing weight and building up muscle,” Ginestra said. “In my ‘WAP’ routine, we’re engaging so many muscle groups as we’re working our legs to twerk or toning up our core and arms when we jump into plank or pushup position.”
Ready to bounce? Hit play, pump up the volume and check out Ginestra’s heart-pumping tutorial for how to do the “WAP” dance.
Work it with Janelle Ginestra’s “WAP” workout:
The seated fan kick
- Begin seated on a workout mat with your legs in front of you, knees bent and both feet on the ground. Keep your legs shoulder-width apart and extend your arms behind you at a 45-degree angle with your palms on the floor.
- Shake your thigh muscles back and forth for a few seconds. Thigh-shaking in this position actually builds up core strength. When the beat drops, start your fan kick.
- Bend the left leg as if you were getting in a cross-legged position, with the foot towards the center of the body. Keep the right leg bent with the knee pointing up and toes pointing out at a diagonal.
- Fan kick right leg up and over in a circular motion, stomping down on the floor to finish. Repeat fan kick four times.
It’s time for the signature “WAP” move.
- Get down on all fours, hands and knees shoulder-width apart.
- Twerk your rear twice by arching and retracting your lower back.
- Lift knees off the floor, balancing on your hands and tippy toes and give one more pulse in the air before placing your knees back down. Do that “pop, pop, hit it at the top” combo four times.
- With hands remaining in pushup position on the mat, lunge your left leg forward and plant it on the outside of your left arm. Keep your right leg straight and fully extended.
- Holding that position, bounce your airborne rear upwards twice.
- Repeat wide lunge combination on the right leg. Repeat movement, alternating legs, four times.
If you’re game, try the twerking pushup!
- Jump into full pushup position, arms and feet shoulder-width apart. Legs should be fully extended, with your weight balanced on the hands and tippy toes.
- Lift left leg off the floor, kicking it forward into a 90-degree angle lunge. Knee is adjacent to your left shoulder. Left foot lands parallel to your hands. Right leg remains straight and fully extended. Back is straight.
- Straighten left leg, returning it to full pushup position.
- Repeat combination with the right leg. Repeat the movement, alternating legs, four times.
Now, finish it off.
- Jump up, both feet planted shoulder-width apart with a slight bend in the knees.
- Twerk your rear by quickly arching and retracting your lower back. Bend your knees each time you arch your back, gradually going lower.
- As you’re twerking, your hands are clasped with the palms facing out. Extend arms out in front of you and then quickly contract them back, with elbows bent and forearms parallel to the chest. Repeat arm motion per each arching and retracting of the back.
- Repeat twerk movement eight times fast.
- Sit down on mat.
- Repeat entire workout choreography facing the opposite direction, starting with left leg fan kicks.
- I Want People to Talk About How I Helped Them – BobriskyIn EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021I Want People to Talk About How I Helped Them – Bobrisky. The popular cross-dresser and influencer Okuneye Idris Olanrewaju, better known as Bobrisky ...[Read more]
- Nigeria’s Security Situation Far Better Than What We Met In 2015 – FGIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsJanuary 25, 2021The Minister of Information And Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed has reiterated again on Monday, January 25, the Federal Government’s stance that the ...[Read more]
- U-20 AFCON: Black Satellites drawn in group C of next month’s tournamentIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 25, 2021Ghana has been paired with Tanzania, The Gambia and Morocco in Group C of the 2021 Total Africa U-20 Cup of Nations. The draw was held on Monday ...[Read more]
- Ban looters, corrupt Nigerians – Timi Frank begs BidenIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021
- James Brown Opens Up on Being a Full WomanIn EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021James Brown Opens Up on Being a Full Woman. The popular controversial cross-dresser, James Brown Obialor has penned a message to people, who feel ...[Read more]
- Chelsea sacked Lampard for demanding £80m for new player, RicaIn SportsJanuary 25, 2021Chelsea’s board clashed with Frank Lampard over his insistence on signing former academy product Delcan Rice from West Ham United, according to The ...[Read more]
- Herdsmen quit notice: Buhari’ll turn Sunday Igboho into Southwest version of Nnamdi Kanu – OmokriIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021
- Apostle Suleman slept with my wife, threatening my life – Pastor Davids allegesIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021
- Make A Statement In These Superb Aso Ebi StylesIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Hello, KOKOnistas welcome back to a brand new week we hope you had a fabulous and fashion-filled weekend. For us, at KOKO styles we had the most ...[Read more]
- Seyi Babatope’s ‘Sanitation Day’ Is The Perfect Crime Thriller Movie (Watch Trailer)In Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Ace movie director, producer and writer Seyi Babatope gives us one for the books in his latest movie the “Sanitation Day”, the movie which is ...[Read more]