DETROIT — The number of people killed on the nation’s highways rose 4.6 percent in the first nine months of 2020 despite coronavirus lockdowns that curtailed driving early in the year.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that 28,190 people died in traffic crashes from January through September of last year, up from 26,941 in the same period of 2019. Final statistics for the full year won’t come out until fall.
Authorities blamed the increase on risky driving behavior that developed when there were few vehicles on the road early in the pandemic.
“Preliminary data tells us that during the national health emergency, fewer Americans drove, but those who did took more risks and had more fatal crashes,” the safety agency said in a letter addressed to the nation’s drivers.
Traffic deaths rose 0.6 percent during the first-quarter of 2020, but they fell 1.1 percent in the second quarter as coronavirus lockdowns restricted movement. Fatalities spiked 13.1 percent from July through September, the agency said.
“We think the big culprit is speeding,” said Jonathan Adkins, executive director of the Governors Highway Safety Association. Early in the pandemic, drivers found open roads and drove faster. The behavior continued even as traffic volumes recovered, Adkins said.
“A big factor here is the lack of enforcement. We are hearing from many states that traffic stops have declined during COVID-19. Drivers feel like they can speed and get away with it,” he said.
NHTSA said recent reports show a 22 percent increase in vehicle speeds in several metropolitan areas over pre-pandemic numbers. Also, a study found that 65 percent of drivers treated at trauma centers who were hurt in serious crashes had drugs or alcohol in their systems last year. It was 50.6 percent before the pandemic, NHTSA said. The agency also said fewer people are wearing seat belts.
The agency is telling people not to drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, to wear seat belts and to reduce their speeds in order to stay safe. It also says people should make sure their children are in the proper car seat for their size.
- VIDEO: Xandy Kamel Says She Doesn’t Trust Her Husband Fully – Anything Is Bound To HappenIn EntertainmentJanuary 28, 2021One of the famewhores hovering around the internet, Xandy Kamel, has revealed that she doesn’t trust her husband fully. According to Xandy Kamel in ...[Read more]
- When You Get Finacial Breakthrough, Sow Financially Into Your Broke Friends – Reno OmokriIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 28, 2021Previous articleBBNaija’s Erica Nlewedim Trademarks Her Nickname “Star Girl”...[Read more]
- Emmy award-winning actress, Cloris Leachman is deadIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 28, 2021The Federal High Court Ikoyi, Lagos State, on Wednesday, admitted more evidence against Azeez Fashola, popular musician also known as Naira Marley. ...[Read more]
- BBNaija’s Erica Nlewedim Trademarks Her Nickname “Star Girl”In Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 28, 2021Reality TV star Erica has announced that she has trademarked her nickname “Star Girl”. The TV star shared the exciting news on her social media page. ...[Read more]
- VIDEO: Tracey Boakye Actually Hired A Saxophonist To Play ‘Happy Birthday’ Song For Her As She Landed At KIA From TurkeyIn EntertainmentJanuary 28, 2021Tracey Boakye climaxing her 30th birthday celebration had to hire a Saxophonist to welcome her at the Kotoka International Airport with a rendition ...[Read more]
- Gov Okowa’s father dies at 89In NewsJanuary 28, 2021Delta state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, is bereaved as he just lost his father, Sir Arthur Okowa. The governor’s father passed away in the early ...[Read more]
- “I don’t have a relationship with her, she’s just my boyfriend’s relative” – Vee speaks on her relationship with Venita (Video)In Celebrity NewsJanuary 28, 2021BBNaija star, Vee Iye has opened up on her relationship with former BBNaija housemate, Venita Akpofure, who is also her boyfriend, Neo‘s cousin ...[Read more]
- Bauchi Principal kidnapped alongside Bauchi Auditor-General’s son begs his family to sell his properties to raise N50 Million ransomIn NewsJanuary 28, 2021Iliyasu Suleiman, a 50-year-old school principal kidnapped in Bauchi State, has asked his wife to sell his house and other property to raise the N50 ...[Read more]
- PHOTO: Shatta Wale Asks Ghanaians When They’ll Stop Talking About His Big Enviable ‘D’In EntertainmentJanuary 28, 2021Shatta Wale has asked Ghanaians when they will stop talking about his big enviable ‘D’? He says whatever people see in his trousers anytime he ...[Read more]
- Medeama SC mutually part ways with midfielder Jasper NarteyIn Ghana, SportsJanuary 28, 2021Ghana Premier League club, Medeama SC, have mutually parted ways with midfielder, Jasper Nimo Nartey, after spending three years in Tarkwa. He joined ...[Read more]