Next time you head to Venice on holiday, you’ll be watched the whole time thanks to a new system which can track where you are from and even how fast you walk.
The Italian city has launched the Venice Smart Control Room which follows tourist behavior, which hopes to control the number of visitors during the peak season.
The $3,648,150.00 system took three years to build, and was created to prevent over-tourism, a problem Venice struggled with pre-Covid.
Tourists are analyzed using the system which is located in an abandoned warehouse on the Venetian island of Tronchetto, which is also home to offices for police and the government.
Marco Bettini, co-director general of Venis who created the system, told CNN: “We know in real time how many people are in each part [of Venice], and which countries they’re from. This is the brain of the city.”
Inside the Smart Control Room, tourist numbers can be tracked across Venice by working with telecom provider TIM, as well as where they are from by analyzing which country their mobile phone is registered to.
For example, data showed them that on one day, 36 percent of tourists were German, followed by the Swiss (16 percent) and Brits (13 percent).
Tourists can be analysed depending on their kind of visit – such as a day trip rather than an overnight stay – and where they are most likely to go, with St Marks Square one of the most populated areas.
CCTV cameras also track public transport and boats, as well as their departure and arrival times, and tide movements.
The system can even track how fast you are moving through the city, which would highlight if you are walking or running.
They hope to use the information to prevent over-tourism in the future, which will include charging for entrance on busy days or to operate queueing systems.
During the peak of tourism, strict rules were introduced which includes huge fines for tourists caught breaking them.
In 2019, two backpackers were charged $1,033 for eating food on the steps of Rialto Bridge, while others were fined for similar offenses.
However visitor numbers fell last year due to coronavirus, with Italy hit particularly hard when it became one of the worst hit in Europe.
Desperate tour operators offered Brits bargain deals to return last summer, but Venice restaurant owner Cesare Benelli warned: “The truth of this city is that it doesn’t have a future if we continue on the same path.”
Italy is currently off the cards for Brits due to the UK lockdown, which bans any non-essential travel abroad.
Flights from the UK to Italy are banned until at least January 15, due to the new mutant strain of coronavirus, while a negative test is required on arrival to Italy.
The UK is introducing mandatory negative tests on all arrivals, including Brits, from Monday.
- Princess Odume Is Innocent, She Didn’t Set To Kill Mr Japheth – Women’s Rights Lawyer, Barr. Nnenna Nwafor-OrizuIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsJanuary 27, 2021In light of getting a good understanding of the recent rape and manslaughter case of the Akwa Ibom State Corper Chidinma Princess Odume who allegedly ...[Read more]
- Practice Your Love Language On Yourself! – Timi DakoloIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Singer Timi Dakolo has taken to the streets of Twitter to advice Nigerians to practice their love language on themselves. Maybe this will help them ...[Read more]
- Richest Ashewo In Nigeria, Put Some Respect On My Name – Bobrisky BragsIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Crossdresser Bobrisky has declared himself the richest ashewo in Nigeria while showing off his extravagant dressing. The Instagram celebrity shared a ...[Read more]
- Stop Scamming People In The Name Of Jesus – Woli Arole Slams ScammersIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Popular Comedian Woli Arole has warned scammers against using the name of Jesus to obtain money from people. He shared that these scammers hide under ...[Read more]
- Ned Nwoko Takes Wife, Laila on Romantic Dinner (Video)In EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Ned Nwoko Takes Wife, Laila on Romantic Dinner. The businessman and Billionaire, Ned Nwoko has splashed thousands of naira on a dinner with his ...[Read more]
- Kiddwaya humbles self, pens heartfelt note to depressed fanIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 27, 2021The popular reality star, Kiddwaya has taken a compassionate step at addressing a fan of his who sought comfort as a result of being depressed. In a ...[Read more]
- ”Any married woman who did not use her husband’s photo as her profile picture is cheating online” – Nigerian man saysIn GossipJanuary 27, 2021A man has taken to social media to berate married women who do not appreciate their husbands on social media by showing him off. According to the man ...[Read more]
- Ned Nwoko Clears the Air on Affair with Zambian MistressIn EntertainmentJanuary 27, 2021Ned Nwoko Clears the Air on Affair with Zambian Mistress. The Billionaire and politician, Ned Nwoko has open up on his move to marry an eighth wife, ...[Read more]
- Concentrate On Building Your Health Sector Rather Than Buying COVID-19 Vaccines – Bill Gates To FGIn Celebrity News, coronavirus, COVID-19, Nigeria NewsJanuary 27, 2021American philanthropist and Microsoft Co-founder, Bill Gates has shown concern for the health sector of Nigeria, saying the federal government of ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky brags about being the ‘richest ashewo’ as he flaunts jewelry worth N12.4mIn Entertainment, GossipJanuary 27, 2021Controversial Nigerian crossdresser, Idris ‘Bobrisky’ Okuneye, has flaunted cost price of jewelry he wore to a date which stands at N12.4m. In a ...[Read more]