They may be ginger — but their skin isn’t.
In a seemingly paradoxical study, US researchers found that redheads have a preternaturally high pain tolerance — wait for it — due to a mechanism that ups their susceptibility to sunburns.
“These findings describe the mechanistic basis behind earlier evidence suggesting varied pain thresholds in different pigmentation backgrounds,” said Dr. David Fisher of the Massachusetts General Hospital in Massachusetts. He led the fiery study published in the journal Science Advances.
The research found that the cells that determine skin color — called melanocytes — play a large role in deciding how people experience pain.
As fire-haired folks boast a faulty melanocyte, they can’t process enough dark pigment to tan, which has the added effect of elevating their threshold for hurt.
Not to worry, no Ron Weasleys were harmed in the name of science. An examination of red-furred mice revealed that their melanocytes functioned similarly to that of rust-headed humans.
Like all people, those with crimson curls — the rarest hair color — boast a melanocyte receptor called melanocortin 1, whose primary directive is determining when the body produces dark brown and black coloration, the Daily Mail reported.
However, in redheads the receptor doesn’t function, which makes their pallid skin virtually unable to bronze as well as more vulnerable to sunburn.
Fortunately, despite their increased sun-sensitivity, these “vermillionhairs” are also less likely to feel the burn.
The aforementioned screwy receptors reduce the production of a chemical called POMC, causing lower levels of various hormones. This in turn, brings about equilibrium between pain-inhibiting and pain-enhancing receptors, boosting the function of the pain-dulling opioid sensors not manufactured by the skin color cells.
As a result, redheads have a higher pain tolerance than their blond and brunette brethren.
The goal of the research is not to confirm the “South Park” stereotype that gingers have freaky superpowers (even if they’re scientifically proven to smell sexier, among other special abilities).
Rather, “understanding this mechanism provides validation of this earlier evidence and a valuable recognition for medical personnel when caring for patients whose pain sensitivities may vary,” said Dr. Fisher.
The Scut Farkuses of the world aren’t the only ones who can endure abnormal levels of abuse. A 2019 study found that women are the superior sex when it comes to processing agony that occurred in the past.
- ‘The Best YES I Ever Said’- Joke Silva Gushes Over Hubby Olu JacobsIn Nigeria NewsApril 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT Veteran actress, Joke Silva has reinvigorated her marriage with veteran actor Olu Jacobs with the cool words she appreciated her ...[Read more]
- Sir Alex Ferguson slams idea of Super League, speaks on Man Utd’s involvementIn SportsApril 18, 2021The English Premier League and the UEFA have threatened to ban any club among the top six on the table that takes part in the European Super League. ...[Read more]
- Popular Nigerian Baker Murdered In His HouseIn Nigeria NewsApril 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT According to a publication sighted on Instablog9ja, popular Bayelsa-based baker, George Dokubo has been murdered. Sources told the ...[Read more]
- Groom Slaps His Bride At Their Wedding ReceptionIn Nigeria NewsApril 18, 2021ADVERTISEMENT A Twitter user has shared an almost unbelievable story by saying a groom landed a hefty slap on the face of his newly wedded wife at ...[Read more]
- Policeman at Adeniji station threatened to kill me – Mr MacaroniIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentApril 18, 2021Former Bad Boy rapper, Robert Ross popularly known as Black Rob is dead. He died on Saturday at the age of 51. This is coming just a few days after ...[Read more]
- FA Cup: Iheanacho sets up Chelsea vs Leicester City finalIn SportsApril 18, 2021The English Premier League and the UEFA have threatened to ban any club among the top six on the table that takes part in the European Super League. ...[Read more]
- WPL Mach report: Lady Strikers surrender two goal lead to lose to Thunder QueensIn GhanaApril 18, 2021Advertisement Thunder Queens put up a dramatic second half performance that ensured they rallied from 2 goals down to beat Lady Strikers 3-2 on match ...[Read more]
- #GPLwk20: Bechem United trash Aduana Stars, Medeama close gap to KotokoIn GhanaApril 18, 2021Hafiz Konkoni scored a brace as Bechem United made light work of former champions Aduana Stars at the Nana Gyeabuor Park on Sunday in Match Week 20 ...[Read more]
- WPL Mach report: Prisons Ladies beaten by Ashtown Ladies at Coronation ParkIn GhanaApril 18, 2021Prisons Ladies lost 1-0 to Ashtown Ladies on match day 9 of the Women’s Premier League at the Sunyani Coronation Park. Prisons Ladies, second on the ...[Read more]
- “Lil bro is blessed” – Rema’s manager, Sean Okeke lauds singer over achievements at 20 yearsIn Celebrity NewsApril 18, 2021Rema’s manager, Sean Okeke has praised the achievements of the talented and young artiste at a very early age (20 years). Taking to his ...[Read more]