Six protesting ‘sunset teachers’ arrested by the police on Thursday appeared before an Ilorin magistrate court.
The First Information Report, FIR, sheet read; “Criminal conspiracy, disturbance of public peace, inciting public disturbance, disobedience of order duly promulgated by a public servant, failure to comply with restriction order imposed by the government contrary to Section 07,113,114,152 (B) of the Penal code and regulation 17 paragraph (1) (1) of the Kwara state Infectious Diseases (Emergency Prevention) Regulation 2020, on 17/02/2021.
The charge sheet said ” The above-captioned case was transferred from the Department of Operations, Kwara State Police Command of the Nigerian Police Force, Ilorin to the state criminal investigation department for discreet investigation.
“That you, Isiaka Toyin Ibrahim (m) of Alanamu area, Ilorin, Mohammed Salihu Olayinka, (m) of No 20 Owowami compound, Alanamu area, Ilorin, Salaudeen Abubakar (m) No 7, Oke Ose compound, Okesuna area, Ilorin, Ibrahim Alabi (m) Federal Housing Estate, Ilorin, Adewale Abdulazeez (m) of No 17, Ganiki phase 11, Sango, Ilorin, and Aransiola Olubukun (f) of Gaa Akanbi area, Ilorin, all conspired with other persons now at large while protesting on Ahmadu Bello Way in Ilorin, Kwara State, defiantly blocked both lanes of the road and all peaceful efforts to get you off the road proved abortive resulting in the obstruction of the road and grinding to a halt the free flow of vehicular and human traffic, thereby disturbing public peace and inciting public disturbance.
“Furthermore, during the course of the protest, you breached government’s regulations prohibiting the large gathering of people in public places without the use of face masks and maintenance of social distancing in contravention of the state governor’s executive order.”
According to the FIR, a discreet investigation carried out by the SCID revealed that the suspects “Indeed conspired with other persons who are now at large to commit and did commit the said offences by sitting down on both lanes of the road and blocking the said Ahmadu Bello Way, Ilorin on 17th, February 2021, at about 1200hrs, thereby grinding to a halt free flow of vehicular and human traffic and gathered regard for social distancing in contravention of the executive order on the prevention of the spread of Covid-19.”
Police prosecutor, Inspector Adewumi Johnson, urged the court to remand the suspects to prevent them from committing similar offences or hinder police investigation into the matter.
Counsel to the suspects, Ibrahim Akewusola, however, urged the court to disregard the submission of the prosecutor on the ground that the suspects were still presumed innocent until the contrary is proven.
Trial Magistrate Awolola Abioye, however, granted the accused bail in the sum of N200,000 each, with two sureties, one of whom must be a blood relation with landed property within the court’s jurisdiction and a civil servant.
The case was adjourned till March 4, 2021.
- VIDEO: Salinko Says That People Around Funny Face Do Not Advice HimIn EntertainmentFebruary 26, 2021Kumawood actor, Salinko, who was insulted by Funny Face for poke nosing into his affairs hasn’t given up on talking about him. According to Salinko ...[Read more]
- “See what you are missing” – Toke Makinwa shoots shot at DrakeIn Entertainment, GossipFebruary 26, 2021Nigerian On Air Personality and presenter, Toke Makinwa has summoned courage and shot her shot at Canadian-American rapper, Aubrey Drake Graham. The ...[Read more]
- Bandits Are The Criminals Hired To Sabotage Jonathan’s Govt, But Have Been Abandoned – MailafiaIn Boko Haram, Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 26, 2021Former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Niger, Dr Obadiah Mailafia, has said during a recent interview that many of the bandits terrorising the ...[Read more]
- Europa League: Draw for Round of 16 conducted [Full fixtures]In SportsFebruary 26, 2021Barcelona presidential candidate, Joan Laporta, has officially announced the individuals he will work with should he win the elections. Laporta, a ...[Read more]
- NYC Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza stepping downIn USAFebruary 26, 2021Polarizing Department of Education Chancellor Richard Carranza is abruptly stepping down effective March 15 after nearly three controversial years at ...[Read more]
- KOKOnista Of The Day: Inspirational Jourdan Dunn Is Helping To Raise Awareness Of Sickle-cell Disease And Diversity In The Modelling IndustryIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsFebruary 26, 2021Jourdan Dunn is a British model and actress who is leading the fight for diversity in the modelling industry. Jourdan Dunn was born ...[Read more]
- Man castrates self to control his s*xual desiresIn GossipFebruary 26, 2021To curb his insatiable appetite for female flesh, a man has cut off parts of his genitals in Benue State. Terhemen Anongo, popularly called Doc K or ...[Read more]
- Lady shares scary experience with her late mother after she passed onIn Viral NewsFebruary 26, 2021A lady identified as Blessing Unanka has taken to Facebook to share her encounter with her late mother after she passed on. Sharing the experience, ...[Read more]
- VIDEOS: Davido Flies From Atlanta To Los Angeles Just To Have LunchIn EntertainmentFebruary 26, 2021Money ain’t sh*t! Hungry Davido had to fly with his private jet from Atlanta to Los Angeles just to have lunch. Davido posted videos of himself with ...[Read more]
- Zamfara Abduction: Over 500 Students Were Kidnapped Not 300 – Teacher ConfirmsIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 26, 2021One of the teachers at the Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, in Talata Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State, where it was reported ...[Read more]