The kidnappers of a farmer at Iyemero Ekiti in Ikole Local Government area of Ekiti State, Alhaji Jimoh Olodan, have demanded a sum of N30 million.
Alhaji Olodan was kidnapped at a farmstead named Elegure around 11pm, on Friday.
The abductors numbering 18, were said to have invaded the farmstead, which was three kilometres to Iyemero Ekiti and about 15 minutes drive to the community.
In the process of shooting sporadically into the air to scare the residents, the bandits besieged Olodan’s home, dragged him out and whisked him away to an unknown destination.
A source in the town confided in newsmen, on Sunday, that the kidnappers contacted the Olodan’s family around 7.38pm on Saturday and made the demand.
He said: “The people who kidnapped Alhaji Olodan had contacted the family asking for money.
“They were asking for a sum of N30m, which the family found to be too outrageous and they were not comfortable with such demand.
“The family and the entire town are very cautious of the safety of the man, because of his role in the community. He is a successful farmer and one of those people are looking up to.
“They are running around to be able to raise some money, so that the man can be freed. The negotiation is still on with the abductors”.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Ekiti Command, ASP Sunday Abutu, said the police were not aware of the latest development.
“We are not aware that they had contacted the family and asked for ransom. But I know that our men are combing the surrounding bushes in collaboration with local hunters and Amotekun corps”, Abutu said.
- Gunmen abduct man taking his sick 8-year-old daughter to hospital in Kwara, demand N30m ransom
- Abductors of Kogi Ceramic workers demand N40m as ransom
- Abductors of 25 Taraba youths demand N52m ransom
- Abductors of Kaduna students release video of them in captivity, demand N500m ransom
- Abductors demand N15m ransom for release of kidnapped victims
- Abductors of Deeper Life Pastor demand N30 million ransom
- Abductors of Ekiti Commissioner slash ransom from N30 million to N15m
- Ekiti farmer regains freedom after paying N2m ransom
- ”My children’s abductors have asked for Â£100, 000 ransom” – Father of twin children abducted in Oyo state one week ago, reveals
- Edo ex-commissioner’s abductors insist on N15m ransom