Six protesting ‘sunset teachers’ arrested by the police on Thursday appeared before an Ilorin magistrate court.
The First Information Report, FIR, sheet read; “Criminal conspiracy, disturbance of public peace, inciting public disturbance, disobedience of order duly promulgated by a public servant, failure to comply with restriction order imposed by the government contrary to Section 07,113,114,152 (B) of the Penal code and regulation 17 paragraph (1) (1) of the Kwara state Infectious Diseases (Emergency Prevention) Regulation 2020, on 17/02/2021.
The charge sheet said ” The above-captioned case was transferred from the Department of Operations, Kwara State Police Command of the Nigerian Police Force, Ilorin to the state criminal investigation department for discreet investigation.
“That you, Isiaka Toyin Ibrahim (m) of Alanamu area, Ilorin, Mohammed Salihu Olayinka, (m) of No 20 Owowami compound, Alanamu area, Ilorin, Salaudeen Abubakar (m) No 7, Oke Ose compound, Okesuna area, Ilorin, Ibrahim Alabi (m) Federal Housing Estate, Ilorin, Adewale Abdulazeez (m) of No 17, Ganiki phase 11, Sango, Ilorin, and Aransiola Olubukun (f) of Gaa Akanbi area, Ilorin, all conspired with other persons now at large while protesting on Ahmadu Bello Way in Ilorin, Kwara State, defiantly blocked both lanes of the road and all peaceful efforts to get you off the road proved abortive resulting in the obstruction of the road and grinding to a halt the free flow of vehicular and human traffic, thereby disturbing public peace and inciting public disturbance.
“Furthermore, during the course of the protest, you breached government’s regulations prohibiting the large gathering of people in public places without the use of face masks and maintenance of social distancing in contravention of the state governor’s executive order.”
According to the FIR, a discreet investigation carried out by the SCID revealed that the suspects “Indeed conspired with other persons who are now at large to commit and did commit the said offences by sitting down on both lanes of the road and blocking the said Ahmadu Bello Way, Ilorin on 17th, February 2021, at about 1200hrs, thereby grinding to a halt free flow of vehicular and human traffic and gathered regard for social distancing in contravention of the executive order on the prevention of the spread of Covid-19.”
Police prosecutor, Inspector Adewumi Johnson, urged the court to remand the suspects to prevent them from committing similar offences or hinder police investigation into the matter.
Counsel to the suspects, Ibrahim Akewusola, however, urged the court to disregard the submission of the prosecutor on the ground that the suspects were still presumed innocent until the contrary is proven.
Trial Magistrate Awolola Abioye, however, granted the accused bail in the sum of N200,000 each, with two sureties, one of whom must be a blood relation with landed property within the court’s jurisdiction and a civil servant.
The case was adjourned till March 4, 2021.
- NYPD video shows young girl led through Bronx minutes before she was found aloneIn USAFebruary 28, 2021A heartbreaking video posted on Twitter by the NYPD Sunday shows a young girl being led through the Bronx just moments before she was found alone on ...[Read more]
- D’Angelo sounds off on ‘Soho Karen’ at Verzuz Apollo eventIn LifestyleFebruary 28, 2021D’Angelo may have done the very first solo Verzuz — I mean, who would want to battle him? — but he brought in a very special guest musician to kick ...[Read more]
- 20 Stunning Photos Of Davido’s New Lover, Mya YafaiIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021A few hours ago, social media was sent into a frenzy after a video of sensational singer, Davido and his new lover hit the internet. In the video ...[Read more]
- E Choke!!! Ka3na Is The True Sexy “Boss Lady”In Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 28, 2021Reality TV star, entrepreneur and brand influencer Ka3na Jones continues to pepper her fans with more and more raunchy snaps and this time she’s ...[Read more]
- Mya Yafai: Chioma In Tears As Davido Steps Out With New Girlfriend – Blogger ClaimsIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021Chioma, babymama to Nigerian singer, Davido is reportedly in tears following the singer’s alleged relationship with Atlanta-based model, Mya ...[Read more]
- Biden backs ‘independent review’ of Cuomo sexual harassment claims: White HouseIn USAFebruary 28, 2021President Biden backs an “independent review” of sexual harassment claims against Gov. Andrew Cuomo after allegations from two female former ...[Read more]
- Teenage siblings, one other arrested for cultism in AnambraIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Two suspected armed robbers were on Saturday arrested by men of the Ogun State police command after a gun duel. Police said the suspects, one ...[Read more]
- Insecurity: Nigeria Is In A Mess Worse Than Ever, When Will Nigeria Itself Be Abducted – Mike OzekhomeIn Celebrity News, Nigeria NewsFebruary 28, 2021Human Rights Lawyer and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mike Ozekhome has called out the Buhari-led administration as he questions the state of ...[Read more]
- “Every step I take is a big step, I needed a big shoe for that” – Laycon opens up on wearing ‘big shoe’ to Headies Awards (Video)In Celebrity News, LayconFebruary 28, 2021Popular rapper, Olamilekan Agbeleshe, better known as Laycon has finally cleared the air on his reason for wearing a big oversized shoe to the just ...[Read more]
- Armed robbers engage Police in gun battle on Lagos-Ibadan highway, two nabbedIn Local NewsFebruary 28, 2021Two suspected armed robbers were on Saturday arrested by men of the Ogun State police command after a gun duel. Police said the suspects, one ...[Read more]