A 70-year-old man, Chief Clement Garuba, has narrated to the End SARS panel sitting in Benin City how policemen made him lost his sight.
Garuba told the panel that the police came to their community in a commando-style during one of their meetings, tear-gassed and arrested them when they were in a meeting.
According to him, since that day, he lost his sight to police teargas and life has been unpleasant for him.
The victim is the fifth ranking in the cabinet of His Royal Highness, Oba Abiodun Agbaje of Ekpesa Community, Akoko-Edo Local Government Area of Edo State.
He said: “That day we were discussing village matters, with the youths and elders, suddenly, the police came into the meeting, shot teargas into my eyes.
“The police did not only teargass me, they arrested me and my fellow chiefs and detained us for three days.
“Before the incident, I was seeing with my two eyes, going to the farm, taking care of my nine children and my wife but now, I cannot.
“I am suffering deeply. The farm I cultivated before the police made me blind with their teargas, I couldn’t harvest them, they were left at the mercies of thieves.”
He said that the incident made him lose everything including his farm and now he is finding it difficult to cope with life.
Garuba mentioned that he decided to approach the panel for compensation and also invite the said police officers who detained him and his fellow chiefs and made him go blind to face the full wrath of the law.
- End SARS: 5 years after, police to exhume body of man who died in Ogun SARS custody
- End SARS: Bayelsa Police appears before Judicial Panel over 10 allegations of brutality, extra-judicial killings
- End SARS: How Police shot my son over N100 bribe – Woman cries to Akwa Ibom judicial panel of inquiry
- “The blind leading the blind” – Nigerians blast Nengi and Annie Idibia over new movie together (Video)
- SAD: Meet The Popular Nigerian Musician Who Is Blind & Has A Blind Son (PHOTOS)
- ‘Money Cannot Always Solve Everything’: Meet The Nigerian Millionaire Who Was Born Blind, And Has A Blind Son Too
- “We Want SARS, Don’t End SARS” Nigerian Parents Clamor (Video)
- My wife swore to make my life miserable, turn me to pauper – Man tells court
- Oyo State Govt to compensate families who were victim of the End SARS killing
- End SARS: Three months after inauguration, Oyo panel announces commencement of sittings