The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), on Wednesday in Lagos, paraded a 35-year-old man over alleged bunkering of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) worth N1.65 million.
The NSCDC Commandant in the state, Mr Paul Ayeni, while parading the suspect, said he was caught in the Arepo area of Ogun.
NAN reports that Ayeni said the suspect, who hails from Oyo State but resides at No. 41, Ore-Ofe street, Mile 12, Lagos, was caught with 10,000 litres of PMS allegedly siphoned from one of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s pipelines in the area.
Ayeni, who put the market price of the stolen PMS at N1.65 million, said people engaging in such illegal acts were only depleting government’s resources.
The commandant berated those engaging in bunkering for the hardship they were causing the Federal Government and Nigerians.
He reiterated the corps’ readiness to continue to live up to its mandate of protecting critical infrastructure in the country.
Ayeni said the NSCDC was ready to expose any illegal activity that could undermine the proper functioning of the state and the country’s critical infrastructure.
He said that the command was in search of other suspects who escaped during the arrest, adding, however, that the one already apprehended would be made to face the wrath of the law.
But, the suspect, in a chat with newsmen, said he was deceived into the illegal act by a butcher.
He said, “I was approached by someone at Kara abattoir, located in Ogun.
- Mesut Ozil confirms new shirt numberIn SportsJanuary 17, 2021Former Manchester United defender John O’shea has named former Red Devils teammate, Rio Ferdinand as the club’s signing in recent years. Rio ...[Read more]
- Group condemns Aguleri, Umuleri crisis, task traditional rulers on peaceIn NewsJanuary 17, 2021Anambra Civil Society Network (ACSONET) a platform for Citizens and Non-State Actors have condemned the crisis between Aguleri and Umueri Communities ...[Read more]
- Boko Haram sect has Christians, white men, Asians as members – Borno gov, ZulumIn Boko Haram, NewsJanuary 17, 2021
- Schools’ resumption scheduled for 18th January still stands – Kano govtIn NewsJanuary 17, 2021
- Nigerian students can’t remain at home indefinitely – Colleges of Education UnionIn NewsJanuary 17, 2021
- Fayemi appoints Adeniyi Familoni Judge of Ekiti State High CourtIn NewsJanuary 17, 2021
- Accra: Kia truck grinds Military man in gory Sunday accident; driver bolts!In Ghana, NewsJanuary 17, 2021A Military personnel belonging to the Southern Command has been crushed to death in a gory accident. According to report from the Ghana Police ...[Read more]
- Ofosu Ampofo lacing his boots to contest for NDC’s 2024 flagbearership – Gabby hintsIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 17, 2021A leading member of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) Gabby Asare Otchere-Darko has hinted of the NDC’s National Chairman’s decision to contest for the ...[Read more]
- Akufo-Addo names two ‘new’ faces, Fawaz & Adumuah as Deputy Chiefs of Staff as Frema staysIn Ghana, NewsJanuary 17, 2021Reports reaching MyNewsGh.com indicates that the President of Ghana intends to maintain Frema Opare as his Chief of Staff for the second term. The ...[Read more]
- Anambra schools to reopen Monday, classes to commence Feb 1In Education, NewsJanuary 17, 2021Professor Maimuna Waziri has emerged as the 3rd Vice Chancellor of the Federal University, Gashu’a, Yobe state. Waziri, a Professor of Chemistry beat ...[Read more]