The Ebonyi State Police Command, Monday, held hostage a 32-year-old woman, one Victoria Chekwube for attempting to sell her four months old baby boy as a result of hunger and other economic hardship.
Victoria, according to investigation, was a commercial sex hawker.
It was gathered that Victoria was staying at the demolished market along the Ogbee Hausa axis, in the Abakaliki metropolis, where she became pregnant, for a yet-to-be-identified man.
Sources, who spoke to journalists on condition of anonymity, said she became homeless after the demolition of the market and wandered the area, begging for arms.
It was gathered that good spirited individuals, whom she approached and indicated her intent to sell her baby boy little Victus Chekwube, informed the police about her plan, which led to her arrest, thereafter.
Victoria said, “My name is Chekwube Victoria. I am 32 years old. I’m from Ebonyi State. I am a sex worker. I used to stay at Ogbe Hausa in Abakaliki here.
“One of my customers, who paid me N5,000.00, slept with me without condom and after that day, I missed my period. So, this is why I came to be in this condition. I am suffering and I’m even finding it hard to eat.
“This child, four-month-old Victus Chekwube, is my child. But I want to sell my child, because I cannot take care of him. I want to sell it for N40,000.00. I can’t guarantee the child’s safety, because I am suffering and I want to go look for my future.”
Confirming the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mrs Loveth Odah, said Chikwube’s situation was pathetic.
According to Odah, “This lady here, whose name is Victoria Chekwube, told us (the police) that she is a commercial sex worker. She said she doesn’t want to keep this baby (four-month-old Victus Chekwube), she is carrying.
“She told us that she is looking for anybody who can pay her N40,000.00 and then take the baby. She said she wants to open a beer parlour business, where she can earn a living from.
“She said she can not exactly say the particular customer that put her in the family way. She only told us that there was a particular day, that many customers were coming and she was charging them N1,500.00 with condom, and N5,000.00 without condom. And that after that day, she missed her period.
“All this while, we have been talking to her not to do something like this; but she is not willing to listen to us. We have tried talking to her to know the value of her own baby and the pride of womanhood. She refused.
“She even told us that the safety of the baby is not guaranteed of we allow her go home now, with the baby. Victoria told us that she would throw the baby away and then face her future.
“The Command has decided to take her to the Ebonyi State Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development. We are sure they should understand how best to handle this kind of situation,” she noted.
- If your own taped corruption didn’t destroy the judiciary, what will criticism do?- lawyer asks Judicial ServiceIn Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021Lawyer and advocate for legal education reforms in Ghana, Mawuse Oliver Barker-Vormawor has asserted that criticising the courts and holding it to ...[Read more]
- New Mum, Adesua Etomi Shares Photos Documenting Her Pregnancy, Childbirth and MotherhoodIn EntertainmentMarch 1, 2021Adesua Etomi-Wellington has shared photos documenting different stages of her pregnancy and the back story for each photo. The new mum also shared ...[Read more]
- Shatta Wale threatens to beat music producer for exposing him for not paying for his servicesIn Entertainment, Ghana, NewsMarch 1, 2021Dancehall artiste Shatta Wale has threatened to beat music producer MOG for exposing him. MOG on Sunday in series of tweets exposed Shatta Wale for ...[Read more]
- Being a celebrity doesn’t prevent me from doing my matrimonial duties at home – Diana HamiltonIn Entertainment, GhanaMarch 1, 2021‘Adom (Grace)’ hitmaker and powerful vocalist, Diana Hamilton has revealed that despite the busy schedules that come with her celebrity status, she ...[Read more]
- “I miss my daughter” – Actress, Ada Ameh weeps over loss of only childIn Celebrity NewsMarch 1, 2021Nollywood actress, Ada Ameh continues to grief over the death of her only child, Aladi Gift, who died in October 2020 after battling a prolonged ...[Read more]
- It’s unnecessary to cane children – Diana Hamilton fumesIn Entertainment, GhanaMarch 1, 2021Award-winning Ghanaian gospel music icon, Diana Hamilton has disclosed on Kastle FM in an interview with Amansan Krakye monitored by MyNewsGh.com ...[Read more]
- God hates homosexuality but grace is available for them – Diana HamiltonIn Entertainment, GhanaMarch 1, 2021The advocacy for the legalization of LGBTQ+ rights in Ghana has been met with mixed reaction and condemnation with Diana Hamilton saying that God’s ...[Read more]
- EPL: Arteta warns Gabriel Martinelli after Arsenal defeated Leicester City 3-1In EPL, SportsMarch 1, 2021Arsenal boss, Mikel Arteta, has warned forward, Gabriel Martinelli, that he needs to keep working hard to get back to his best following his side’s ...[Read more]
- “You were not 12, not your cousin, stop lying” – Reactions as Nengi shares throwback photo with cousin at age 12In Celebrity NewsMarch 1, 2021Popular reality star, Nengi Rebecca Hampson has shared a throwback photo of herself with her cousin from when she was 12-years-old. Taking to Twitter ...[Read more]
- EPL: I’m baffled referee Attwell didn’t award Man United penalty against Chelsea – Mark ClattenburgIn SportsMarch 1, 2021Manchester United legend, Paul Scholes, has disagreed with Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel’s comments following both sides’ Premier League 0-0 draw. ...[Read more]