The Imo State Police Command has re-arrested three prisoners who escaped from the Correctional Centre in Owerri, following an attack on the centre on April 5, 2022.
This is contained in a statement signed by Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Bala Elkana and made available to newsmen in Owerri on Wednesday.
Elkana said that one of the rearrested escapees, Cosmas Mbamara of Mgbidi in Oru West Local Government Area of the state was rearrested after sustained monitoring by the police.
He said that Mbamara was facing trial for murder before he escaped from the correctional Centre.
He also said that another escapee, George Okafor, 35, from Ezeachi in Orlu LGA, who was already facing trial, for alleged murder was apprehended by detectives from the Orlu division of the Command.
Also, detectives from Okigwe division rearrested one Levi Nwankwo, 35, of Okigwe LGA on May 13, 2022 in his hideout at Okigwe.
Nwankwo, he said, was facing charges of kidnapping and armed robbery before his escape from the Correctional Centre.
“We have rearrested three escapee prisoners and we will hand them over to the Nigeria Correctional Services in Imo.
“We urge escapee prisoners to surrender rather than wait for us because we will find them,” he said.
He, however, added that the state Commissioner for Police, CP Abutu Yaro urged the public to continue to support the Police with credible information to aid intelligence.
Benue: One day, God of Justice will visit you – Ortom tells killer herdsmen
- Imo prison break: 35 inmates refused to escape, 6 escapees returned voluntarily – NCoS
- Edo Jailbreak: Police arrest two prisoners, hunt for 8 other escapees
- Edo cell break: Civil rights group gives CP 48-hour ultimatum to publish names, photographs of escapees
- Prison Service Reacts To Detention Of Woman Who Delivered In Prison Following Arrest During EndSARS
- Police IG Reveals the Identity of those Who Attacked Imo Police Station, Prison
- At Least One Dead As Gunmen Attacks Imo Prison, Police Headquarters
- IPOB behind attack on prison, police command in Imo state – IGP
- Imo prison break: Biafra group hints on reasons for attack on Police facility
- Okorocha was invited to explain why he led the violent breaking into an estate sealed by Imo government that led to damages – Imo Police
- Okorocha was invited to explain why he led the violent break-in into an estate sealed by Imo government that led to damages – Imo Police