A Professor of Soil Science at University of Calabar, Cross River State, Peter Ogban, jailed over electoral fraud, has been granted bail in the sum of N10 million pending his appeal.
Recall that High Court 2 sitting in Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State had in March, 2022 sentenced Prof. Ogban to three years imprisonment after finding him guilty of electoral fraud in the 2019 elections.
Ogban was the Collation/Returning Officer during the National Assembly elections and was found guilty of manipulating and falsifying the scores of election results in Oruk Anam and Etim Ekpo local government areas in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
He pleaded for leniency but the presiding judge, Justice Augustine Odokwo, ordered that he should also pay a fine of N100,000 for two counts.
However the High Court 1, sitting in Ikot Ekpene on Monday, July 12, 2022, granted him N10 Million bail pending his appeal.
In his ruling, the presiding judge, Justice Pius Idiong, said the bail conditions would include a surety in like sum who must reside and have properties within the jurisdiction of the court.
Others include the presentation of Certificate of Occupancy signed by the State Governor and two passport photographs each of the applicant and surety to the Registrar of the Court.
Justice Idiong held that though the applicant did not prove exceptional circumstance or unusual reason to be granted bail, the applicant may have to serve the terms of sentence before the determination of the appeal.
Counsel to INEC, Kpoobari Sigalo said the conditions for bail must be perfected before the applicant can be released on bail.
Court jails Professor for manipulating election result in favour of Akpabio
- Professor Ransford Gyampo Calls On Electoral Commission To Revisit Their ‘Poor’ Placement Of Electoral Booths
- EFCC docks ‘Money Doublers’ for alleged N10m fraud
- Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, As Chairman Of The Independent National Electoral Commission
- Nigeria’s Former Varsity Exam Board Registrar, Ojerinde Gets N200 million Bail Over Alleged N52billion Fraud
- Charles Okocha Gets N10m On His Birthday
- “I Am The Real Prof Not That Robot Y’all Call Prof – BBN Erica Throws Shade
- “I am the real Prof not that robot y’all call Prof” – Erica Nlewedim throws shade
- Kogi Government writes US over Electoral Fraud Allegation
- Nigeria’s Electoral Commission Exposes Fraud In Anambra APC Primaries, Party Declared Uba Without Accreditation, Election
- I may lose my leg if I do not get bail – Former pension boss, Abdulrasheed Maina begs judge for bail