The recent crisis that engulfed Shasha Market in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital is causing scarcity of perishable goods in the ancient city, DAILY POST investigation has revealed.
The scarcity has also led to the increment in prices of perishable goods.
DAILY POST recalls that Shasha Market, which is the major market for perishable goods like pepper, onions, tomatoes and other food ingredients in Ibadan, was penultimate Friday engulfed with crisis.
The market located in Akinyele local government area of Oyo State, has been in existence for over three decades.
Majority of those who sell tomatoes, pepper and onions at retail prices in some parts of Ibadan such as Opopo-Yeosa, Ita-Merin, Sango and Oje buy at wholesale from Shasha Market.
Though checks by DAILY POST revealed that some of the sellers of perishable goods have temporarily relocated to an open place at Bodija market, prices have skyrocketed.
DAILY POST investigation revealed that a size of tomato that usually goes for two thousand naira before the crisis is now sold at the rate of four thousand naira.
The same scenario was observed by our correspondent at the temporary space occupied by those who sell onions and pepper.
An Ibadan indigene, identified as Mr. Daramola, told our correspondent at the weekend that, “I grew up to know the Shasha Market. When we were young, my mother usually went to Shasha to buy pepper and sell at Opopo-Yeosa. She will leave around 5.am even before we wake up.
“She is not the only one, the women who sell at Opopo-Yeosa, Ita-Merin and other markets usually go there to buy things. I am talking about 80s, over thirty years ago and the market has been in existence before then.”
A civil servant who spoke with our correspondent at the weekend noted that the increment was a result of the crisis which led to the closure of the market.
“Things have gone up now. Since last Friday, the prices of perishable goods have increased. I bought this thing last week at the rate of N100, they told me that it is N150 now. Just last week.
“You see, it is because of the crisis, some Hausa said that they are going back. They are the ones bringing these things, the market is closed, where will they sell it? Those perishable goods are scarce now.”
A sociologist at the University of Ibadan, Mr. Saheed Isiaka said that the retail price of perishable goods in his area has increased.
He said, “Yes, I noticed it, though I have not been to Bodija market to see the differences, but buying tomatoes and the likes from retailers in my area took a drastic turn last Friday evening.”
- Twin sisters make history as they welcome babies 13 minutes apart (Photos)In GossipFebruary 26, 2021Twin sisters, Amesha Thuesday and Amela Latasha, on Wednesday, February 24, gave birth to their babies just 13 minutes apart. This delivery which ...[Read more]
- “Tell your papa make e do am” – Peruzzi slams troll who rubbished his songIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 26, 2021Davido Music World signee, Tobechukwu Okoh, known professionally as Peruzzi has lambasted a troll that rubbished his song. In a hot Twitter exchange, ...[Read more]
- HOT GOSSIP: Maxwell Mensah Reportedly Threatening To Divorce Nana Ama McbrownIn EntertainmentFebruary 26, 2021Following the brouhaha as a result of Nana Ama Mcbrown‘s interview with self-acclaimed lawyer, Mona Gucci, on UTV last week Saturday — which brought ...[Read more]
- Lady tattoos name of popular blog on her arm, vows to ink her back (Video)In Viral NewsFebruary 26, 2021A die-hard fan has inked the tattoo of a popular blog platform, GossipMill NG, on her arm and vows to tattoo it on her back too. The trend of inking ...[Read more]
- Toke Makinwa Shoots Her Shot at Canadian Rapper, DrakeIn EntertainmentFebruary 26, 2021Toke Makinwa Shoots Her Shot at Canadian Rapper, Drake. The popular socialite, Toke Makinwa has become the latest Nigerian celebrity who is heavily ...[Read more]
- Wetin Sanwo Dey Do Self? ….The More You Look, The More You SeeIn NewsFebruary 26, 2021Good Work excellent construction al least we can see your job going very well. But you have not answered the question why 3 able governors of Lagos ...[Read more]
- Mum disgusted with homework that asked her 10-year-old daughter to write about ‘fingering’In NewsFebruary 26, 2021A mum said she was “mortified” and “disgusted” after her ten-year-old daughter was given homework which included a ...[Read more]
- “See What You Are Missing” – Toke Makinwa Shoots Her Shot At DrakeIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 26, 2021Popular media girl Toke Makinwa is the latest Nigerian celebrity who is crushing on Canadian rapper Drake. The entrepreneur has always challenged her ...[Read more]
- “Don’t Divorce Your Husband, If You Catch Him Cheating” – Veteran Actress, Liz BensonIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentFebruary 26, 2021Liz Benson Ameye, a popular veteran Nollywood actress has a word of advice for ladies who decides to leave their spouse after he is caught having ...[Read more]
- Son of notorious bandit leader, three others surrender arms, anti aircraft guns, rocket launchers, live ammunitions to Zamfara State GovtIn NewsFebruary 26, 2021Zamfara State Governor, Bello Mohammed Matawallen on Thursday, received three more repented bandits who surrendered their arms at the Government ...[Read more]