President, LCCI, Toki Mabogunje, said this while evaluating the monetary ramifications of the protest in an announcement made accessible to the media.
She stated that LCCI acknowledges the estimation of residents’ commitment and the interest for responsibility which the protest speaks to, however deplored the negative effect on the economy.
“These are in consonance with democratic norms. They also form vital ingredients for good governance.
“LCCI is however concerned about the negative impact that the protracted nature of the EndSars protests has on business activities across the country.
“Over the past twelve days, economic activities have been crippled in most parts of the country and has been particularly profound in the urban areas. “The Nigerian economy has suffered an estimated seven hundred billion naira (N700 billion) loss in the past twelve days.”
She asserted that the protest has been impactful and profound, adding that it has achieved some significant outcomes by reawakening the need to reform the shortcomings in the nation’s political governance.
The LCCI president however said that to protect the livelihoods of Nigerians, including the business community, the protesters need to progress to the next stage of civic engagement, which is dialogue.
“This is necessary to reduce the massive disruptions, blockades and barricades around our major cities and interstate highways. These actions have been at great cost to the economy and the welfare of Nigerian citizens. It should be noted that our economy is still reeling from the shocks of the Covid 19 Pandemic and struggling to recover from its devastating effects,” she added.
To this end, Mabogunje said LCCI therefore proposes: “That President Muhammadu Buhari should urgently grant audience to the leadership of the protest to deliberate on the way forward and to agree on an action plan for the delivery of agreed outcomes.
“That the government should commit to rapid improvement in governance quality and accountability by effecting necessary institutional, policy and regulatory reforms not only for the police but the entire public sector ecosystem.
“The leadership of the protest should occupy the seats provided to participate in the reforms to be implemented by government in response to their demands.”
- Feds sue NY town for alleged anti-Semitic zoning lawsIn USADecember 3, 2020An New York town’s building laws are engineered to discriminate against Jews, federal prosecutors are alleging — in the third lawsuit against upstate ...[Read more]
- 102-year-old with ‘iron will to live’ survives COVID — twiceIn USADecember 3, 2020A 102-year-old New York woman who lived through the 1918 Spanish Flu and overcame cancer survived not only one — but two bouts with the coronavirus. ...[Read more]
- Midtown a ghost town ahead of Rockefeller Center tree lightingIn USADecember 3, 2020The Ghosts of Christmas Present were about the only ones in in Rockefeller Center ahead of the annual Christmas tree lighting Wednesday night — ...[Read more]
- A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed: James Gardiner Supports John Dumelo As His Colleague Actors Campaign Against HimIn GhanaDecember 2, 2020Ghanaian actor, James Gardiner has taken to Instagram to support John Dumelo who is running for Parliament for Ayawaso West Wuogon. – ...[Read more]
- “I Will Find You And Slap You!”- BBNaija’s Tochi Sends Message To TrollsIn BBNaija, Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Tochukwu Okechukwu better known as Tochi, a former Big Brother Naija season 5 housemate, has sent a word of caution to social media trolls and ...[Read more]
- Pol detained trying to give legal help to defiant NYC pub in COVID-19 hotspotIn USADecember 2, 2020Staten Island state Sen. Andrew Lanza was manhandled by sheriffs on Wednesday when he tried to offer pro bono legal help to a defiant bar that’s ...[Read more]
- Rita Dominic Gears Into The Christmas Mood As She Puts Up Her Christmas TreeIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020From all indications, Nigerian celebrities and making it big time in preparation for the yuletide, some are buying the latest cars, receiving huge ...[Read more]
- Lady Incurs The Wrath Of Netizens For Saying She Can’t Date A Man Without A MansionIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Women nowadays go into relationships with different motives and play games that they assured of winning, there no loss for them. – ...[Read more]
- Beautiful Photos Of Jennifer Awele Pop Up 6 Years After She Got Married To Junior PopeIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Six years after she got married to popular movie actor Junior Pope Odonwodo, Jennifer Awele is looking so good in her recent photos. It only took ...[Read more]
- Meet The Dazzling 23 Year Old Lady Who Claims She Has Been In A Secret Affair With Burna Boy For YearsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Nigerian rapper, Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, known professionally as Burna Boy, has been making headlines ever since a lady who has only been identified ...[Read more]