The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), says it has received more than 20 applications requesting for N67 billion grants under its Healthcare Sector Research and Development Intervention Scheme (HSRDIS).
The CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele disclosed this during the inauguration of the Body of Experts (BoE) for Scheme in Abuja on Monday.
Emefiele explained that the programme was designed to increase the nation’s Research and Development activities that would help support the development of Nigeria made vaccines, drugs and herbal medicines.
He said through the provision of grants to biotechnological and pharmaceutical companies, institutions, researchers, and research institutes, the country’s domestic capacity to curb the spread of COVID-19 and other communicable or non-communicable diseases would be improved.
According to him, it is expected that these grants will be channeled by these institutions to fund research and development of drugs, herbal medicines and vaccines for the control, prevention and treatment of infectious diseases.
“Providing grants for Research and Development in new or revalidation of drug molecules, phytomedicines and vaccines will help in the control, prevention and treatment of infectious diseases in Nigeria.
“It will boost domestic manufacturing of validated drugs (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients or APIs), herbal medicines and vaccines for the control, prevention and treatment of infectious diseases in Nigeria.
“And this will reduce the nation’s dependence on other countries for these drugs and vaccines.
“It will also improve the capacity of the biotechnological and pharmaceutical companies, institutions, researchers, and research institutes in the development of approved Nigerian drugs, herbal medicines and vaccines for infectious diseases.
“This will help to support the capacity of relevant health agencies toward attaining WHO Maturity Level three, a prerequisite for manufacturing of vaccines in Nigeria,” Emefiele said.
In his remarks, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr Boss Mustapha while inaugurating the body of experts commended CBN for the intervention.
Mustapha said COVID-19 had exposed the weakness of Nigeria’s health and governance systems as well as security infrastructure.
He said the intervention by CBN had set the country on the path of recovery.
“I often mention it that we do not have an opportunity of reconsidering the reconstruction of our health infrastructure in this country.
“This is a golden opportunity that has availed itself. And it will be the greatest disappointment of our time and generation, if we do not seize the opportunity to redress all deficiencies we have in our health system and other infrastructure in this country,” he said.
The SGF expressed confidence on members of the body of experts charged with the responsibility.
He urged them to ensure that the process was driven by science, data and facts that would be available to them.
He said this was necessary as the country was dealing with advanced negative effect of COVID-19, Nigeria would also set a new pace of its health care delivery system.
The chairperson of the body of experts, also the director-general of NAFDAC, Prof Mojisola Adeyeye lauded CBN for its interventions in the health sector.
Adeyeye said the charge of the Body of Experts (BOE) was to review and evaluate submitted research proposals, as well as recommend the projects with high potential for financing.
This is to ensure they contribute to development of the essential orthodox and herbal medicines and vaccines for infectious diseases.
She added that the charge was to arrive at a rational scientific decision that justifies the goal.
“Scientific research and development targets at the truth that is driven by a hypothesis which is laden with questions that will need to be answered.
“The objectives are to build a body of knowledge that can be tested repeatedly with accuracy and to provide a description and explanation of natural events.
” It is also to predict conditions beyond the boundaries of existing possibilities in health, social or economic areas,” she explained.
Source: Newzandar News News
- Feds sue NY town for alleged anti-Semitic zoning lawsIn USADecember 3, 2020An New York town’s building laws are engineered to discriminate against Jews, federal prosecutors are alleging — in the third lawsuit against upstate ...[Read more]
- 102-year-old with ‘iron will to live’ survives COVID — twiceIn USADecember 3, 2020A 102-year-old New York woman who lived through the 1918 Spanish Flu and overcame cancer survived not only one — but two bouts with the coronavirus. ...[Read more]
- Midtown a ghost town ahead of Rockefeller Center tree lightingIn USADecember 3, 2020The Ghosts of Christmas Present were about the only ones in in Rockefeller Center ahead of the annual Christmas tree lighting Wednesday night — ...[Read more]
- A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed: James Gardiner Supports John Dumelo As His Colleague Actors Campaign Against HimIn GhanaDecember 2, 2020Ghanaian actor, James Gardiner has taken to Instagram to support John Dumelo who is running for Parliament for Ayawaso West Wuogon. – ...[Read more]
- “I Will Find You And Slap You!”- BBNaija’s Tochi Sends Message To TrollsIn BBNaija, Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Tochukwu Okechukwu better known as Tochi, a former Big Brother Naija season 5 housemate, has sent a word of caution to social media trolls and ...[Read more]
- Pol detained trying to give legal help to defiant NYC pub in COVID-19 hotspotIn USADecember 2, 2020Staten Island state Sen. Andrew Lanza was manhandled by sheriffs on Wednesday when he tried to offer pro bono legal help to a defiant bar that’s ...[Read more]
- Rita Dominic Gears Into The Christmas Mood As She Puts Up Her Christmas TreeIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020From all indications, Nigerian celebrities and making it big time in preparation for the yuletide, some are buying the latest cars, receiving huge ...[Read more]
- Lady Incurs The Wrath Of Netizens For Saying She Can’t Date A Man Without A MansionIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Women nowadays go into relationships with different motives and play games that they assured of winning, there no loss for them. – ...[Read more]
- Beautiful Photos Of Jennifer Awele Pop Up 6 Years After She Got Married To Junior PopeIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Six years after she got married to popular movie actor Junior Pope Odonwodo, Jennifer Awele is looking so good in her recent photos. It only took ...[Read more]
- Meet The Dazzling 23 Year Old Lady Who Claims She Has Been In A Secret Affair With Burna Boy For YearsIn Celebrity NewsDecember 2, 2020Nigerian rapper, Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu, known professionally as Burna Boy, has been making headlines ever since a lady who has only been identified ...[Read more]