The Executive Secretary, Civil Society for HIV/AIDS in Nigeria, (CISHAN), Walter Ugwuocha, on Thursday said that 46, 000 persons are undergoing treatment for HIV/AIDS infection in Kogi State.
Ugwuocha who was speaking during the North Central Zonal launching of the National HIV/AIDs self-testing campaign flag-off/, noted that, there are other 31, 000 persons who are yet to be tested for the virus.
The Executive Secretary, said as at the last count, 1.9 million persons are living with the virus in the country, while another 1.1 million are undergoing treatment
He added that the country is currently testing 11 million persons yearly, which he said is not enough if the country must achieve the all 95% success in testing, treatment and reduction in viral loads by 2030.
According to him, “Nigeria is presently working with other global communities to ensure that no fewer than 95% testing, treatment and reduction in viral loads by 2030”.
He explained that HIV self-testing aims to eliminate the problem of stigmatization, thereby encouraging more citizens to know their HIV/AIDS status.
The Executive Secretary said the good news is that the federal government would put in 50,000 self-testing kits and urged the state and local government areas in Kogi State to key into the process.
In her remarks, the state coordinator of CISHAN, Christy Abayomi said everybody must be involved in the fight against the pandemic, adding that, to achieve meaningful results, government at all levels must take the lead.
She said, the need to aggressively tackle this scourge has become very imperative during this COVID-19 as those that are mostly affected by the pandemic are those with underlying disease like HIV/AIDS.
According to her, the self-testing awareness campaign and sensitization would help to eliminate the idea of discrimination and stigmatization.
The secretary to Kogi State government, (SSG), Dr. (Mrs), Folashade Ayoade Arike, while receiving the group in her office, promised that the state government would continue to work with relevant stakeholders to ensure that more of the citizens are tested for the virus.
The SSG who was represented by the Permanent Secretary in charge of Administration and Special Duties, Alhaji Idris Idakwoji, assured that the office of the SSG as the engine room of all government will support the programme to succeed.
In his contribution, the North Central coordinator, Hamza Aliyu said because of the strategic position of Kogi State, boarding over nine States, there is need to handle the issue of HIV/AIDS very seriously.
He called on the state government to invest in the testing of it’s citizens, particularly through the procurement of the self-testing kits to make it accessible to the people.
Daily Post Nigeria
- ENDSARS: Nigerians In Paris Stage Their Protest In Solidarity With Those At Home (+Photos)October 25, 2020The protest to see a conclusion to police brutalities looks positive and unabated in spite of the administration intrigues. So as to end it at home, ...[Read more]
- See Gorgeous Photos From Ex-BBNaija Housemate, Tolanibaj’s BirthdayOctober 25, 2020Previous Big Brother Naija housemate, Tolanibaj turned 27 5 days prior and denoted her birthday at a private gathering. Tragically, she was unable to ...[Read more]
- Fearless Ibrah Says Kennedy Agyapong Will Go Mad Or Commit Suicide Before 10th JanuaryOctober 25, 2020Ghanaian mogul Ibrahim Dauda prevalently known as Ibrah One is attempting to place himself into inconvenience again as he has begun another battle he ...[Read more]
- Bobrisky Says He Is Done With Makeup (+Photo)October 25, 2020Well known Nigerian crossdresser Bobrisky has guaranteed his fans to avoid cosmetics and serve them with his natural beauty. As per Bobrisky, he will ...[Read more]
- Man Calls Out Comedian Ebiye For Selling A Benz He Purchased From HimOctober 25, 2020A man @MrPsalms on Twitter, has accused Comedian Ebiye of selling the Benz he purchased from him using a loan and losing the cash to forex exchanging ...[Read more]
- Niger Delta militants roll out 11-point demandOctober 25, 2020WARRI-MILITANT groups from the nine conditions of the Niger Delta district, which pledged to continue threats, last Monday on the side of #EndSARS ...[Read more]
- Billionaire Business man, Femi Otedola Joins #ENDSARS ProtestOctober 25, 2020Business man, Femi Otedola has said that he is disheartened by the revulsions that have been unfurling in Nigeria. Otedola who made this known ...[Read more]
- Lawmaker SOB Agunbiade Reacts To The Inversion Of His Habitation By hoodlums, Who Trucked Away COVID-19 PalliativesOctober 25, 2020Leader of Lagos State House of Assembly, Sanai Agunbiade aka SOB, has responded to the inversion of his habitation by hoodlums, who trucked away ...[Read more]
- Singer Rudeboy lambast Nigerian leaders for hiding COVID-19 palliatives, Says The are Poor mentallyOctober 25, 2020Singer Paul Okoye (Rudeboy) has hammered Nigerian leaders following the revelation of concealed COVID-19 palliatives. After the peaceful protest was ...[Read more]
- Nollywood Actress Regina Daniels Shows Her Dancing Skills In A VideoOctober 25, 2020Ned Nwoko’s sixth spouse Regina Daniels has taken to online media to give her dancing skills to her fans. In a new video sighted on the ...[Read more]