New York City’s latest bloody week of gunfire saw 76 people injured, including 14 murdered — with almost two-and-a-half times more shootings than the same week last year, according to police sources.
As of 7 a.m., the previous week saw 62 separate shootings — a dramatic rise over the 26 during the same week last year, sources said.
Among the 76 hurt in the latest surge of gunplay, there were 14 murders — again more than the 10 for the same period in 2019, the sources said.
The latest fatalities included a man who was shot dead just after 2 a.m. at the entrance of Brooklyn’s Prospect Park, NYPD sources said.
Photos showed a distraught woman comforting a man dressed all in white who appeared to have collapsed in grief as others soon gathered around a body being carried off in a stretcher.
It continued a particularly bloody weekend that had already seen at least 11 people shot overnight from Friday until Saturday morning, with four fatalities — including 28-year-old city Correction Officer John Jeff who was gunned down at a party in Queens.
The alarming surge by the beginning of this month already saw more shootings this year than the whole of 2019 — with five months to go.
As officials squabble over the cause, scared New Yorkers have even started buying bulletproof vests in record numbers.
- NYC shootings skyrocket with dozens of victims in a week
- Nine shot, one killed in bloody Saturday as NYC shootings skyrocket
- NYC shootings continue to skyrocket, NYPD stats show
- NYC shootings skyrocket as court closures let pistol perps walk free
- At least 8 people struck by gunfire in separate NYC shootings
- At least 6 people struck by gunfire in separate NYC shootings
- At least 9 people struck by gunfire in separate NYC shootings
- Two injured by illegal fireworks overnight as NYC complaints skyrocket
- Four people killed, three injured when gunfire erupts in Paterson
- One person killed, three injured in overnight NYC shootings