Joe Biden’s administration has announced a sweeping immigration bill that would create an eight-year path to citizenship for millions of immigrants already in the country and provide a faster way for undocumented immigrants brought to the US as children to gain citizenship.
Here’s what the bill, titled the US Citizenship Act of 2021, announced on Thursday, February 18 includes:
1. Plan for a pathway to citizenship- The bill cuts the time to acquire citizenship to eight years instead of 13.
Individuals would be in a temporary status for five years, with three years until they get citizenship, amounting to an eight-year path.
While undocumented immigrants who came to the US as children, who fall under a form of humanitarian relief known as Temporary Protected Status or who are farmworkers can go directly to green cards if they meet requirements, including passing background checks.
But to be eligible for the bill’s legalization plan, immigrants must have been in the country before January 1, 2021.
2. Biden’s proposed bill, if passed, would remove the word “alien” from US immigration laws, replacing it with the term “noncitizen.”
According to the administration the change, is “to better reflect the President’s values on immigration.”
The term “illegal alien,” is seen as a dehumanizing slur by immigrant rights advocates, and was well used during the Trump era.
3. The bill provides funding to US Citizenship and Immigration Services to chip away at the backlog of asylum applications.
4. The bill provides funding for more immigration judges with emphasis on access to counsel.
It authorizes funding for counsel for children and vulnerable individuals, and eliminates the one-year limit for filing an asylum case.
5. The bill repeals the bars to reentering the United States if an individual had previously been illegally residing in the country
It increases the number of available so-called diversity visas, which are awarded by random selection in select countries to promote immigration from places that don’t otherwise send many immigrants to the US.
6. The bill would increase the number of visas granted annually from 55,000 to 80,000.
The legislation proposes creating a commission composed of employers, labor unions and civil rights advocates to make recommendations on improving worker verification.
7. The measure would also increase protections for immigrants who come forward to report labor violations and increase penalties for employers who knowingly hire undocumented workers.
8. Invest in US-Mexico border and Central America.
The bill would help South American countries tackle smugglers and narcotics and trafficking networks. It would seek to create legal and safer pathways for migration by setting up refugee processing in Central America and would create a $4 billion investment plan in the region.
The legislation will be hard to pass in Congress, where House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has just a five-vote margin and Senate Democrats do not have the 60 votes needed to pass the measure in the Senate as the Senate is divided 50-50.
- Comedian, MC Casino erects gigantic mansion 6 years after he was ridiculed by estate agentIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 25, 2021Nigerian Comedian, MC Casino has recently showed off the gigantic mansion he erected after being ridiculed by an estate agent 6 years ago. According ...[Read more]
- Gunmen kill 4 policemen in Cross RiverIn Local NewsFebruary 25, 2021A 38-year-old man, Idowu Odedoyin has been arraigned before an Ile-Ife Magistrates’ Court for allegedly abducting a 4-year-old boy. The accused ...[Read more]
- Nigerian comedian, Mc Casino builds a house six years after being mocked by a house agentIn Entertainment, GossipFebruary 25, 2021Nigerian comedian and event compere, MC Casino is reeling in following his new found status as a home owner. According to the comic star, he just ...[Read more]
- Donald Trump’s tax returns are now in the hands of the Manhattan DAIn USAFebruary 25, 2021Former President Donald Trump’s tax returns and related records have been turned over to the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office as part of a ...[Read more]
- Celebs Don Dey Plenty Pass Fans – Don JazzyIn Celebrity News, Entertainment, Nigeria NewsFebruary 25, 2021<!– Celebs Don Dey Plenty Pass Fans – Don Jazzy Nigeria is blessed with talents and human resources so much that almost on a monthly ...[Read more]
- Una dey mad – Mompha drags Bobrisky and Nkechi Blessing Sunday over allegations about himIn Celebrity NewsFebruary 25, 2021Popular big boy, Mompha has slammed controversial crossdresser, Bobrisky and actress Nkechi Blessing Sunday. This was after he was linked to the ...[Read more]
- Substitute teacher, young son found dead in New Jersey pondIn USAFebruary 25, 2021A substitute teacher and her 11-year-old son were found dead in a New Jersey pond, authorities said. The bodies of Warda Syed, 35, and her son, Uzair ...[Read more]
- Long Island cemetery worker killed as grave collapses on himIn USAFebruary 25, 2021A worker at a Long Island cemetery was killed early Thursday when the grave he was digging collapsed on him, police said. Suffolk County police said ...[Read more]
- Man demolishes house he built for his girlfriend after they broke up (Video)In South Africa, Viral NewsFebruary 25, 2021A heartbroken South African man has demolished the beautiful house he built for his girlfriend after she ended their relationship. A popular South ...[Read more]
- Cuomo aide tries to defend boss ahead of Zucker grilling on nursing home scandalIn USAFebruary 25, 2021Gov. Andrew Cuomo trotted out a top aide on Thursday to defend his administration’s handling of nursing homes amid the COVID-19 pandemic — ...[Read more]