The Eleda of Eda-Ile in Ekiti East local government area of Ekiti State, Oba Benjamin Osho, who was abducted by gunmen last week has regained his freedom.
The traditional ruler was abducted while working on his farm in the community on Thursday evening.
The kidnappers had earlier demanded N20 million ransom which the family said it could not afford and pleaded for it to be reduced.
A source close to the palace informed newsmen that Oba Osho was released late on Sunday night at a bush in one of the neighbouring communities.
” Yes, Kabiyesi has been freed on Sunday night by the gunmen after the family paid about N2 million from the N20 million initially demanded by the gunmen. The money was raised by many people and I have someone who contributed to it.
“As I speak with you now, he is receiving medical attention at a popular private hospital in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital, “he said.
The spokesman for the State Police Command, ASP Sunday Abutu, confirmed the release of the traditional ruler after a manhunt by officers of the command.
Abutu who revealed that the monarch was dropped at a forest between Ode-Ekiti and Agbado Ekiti in Gbonyin local government area of the state, however, denied knowledge of payment of any ransom.
Gunmen kidnap another Ekiti monarch
- Kidnapped retired U.S Army officer regains freedom in Ekiti after ransom payment
- Abducted Ekiti Monarch Regains Freedom After Five Days
- Kidnapped 18-year old daughter of NSCDC officer regains freedom after ransom payment
- Ex-PDP secretary regains freedom after payment of ransom to kidnappers
- Jigawa PDP chieftain regains freedom after ransom payment
- Abducted Yobe monarch regains freedom after over 48 hours in captivity
- Ekiti farmer regains freedom after paying N2m ransom
- Ogun: Four abducted Chinese workers regain freedom after payment of ransom
- Abducted Ekiti Commissioner for Agriculture regains freedom
- BREAKING: Abducted Ekiti Commissioner regains freedom