The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has been called out for allegedly installing a supposed new electricity meter with an outstanding debt of N120,000.
Tenants of the affected building inside EFAB Estate in Jabi, Abuja, expressed their anger in a chat with DAILY POST.
On Friday January 9, AEDC officials went to their residence on Road 15 to fix the meter but did not activate.
The next day, the landlord, Mr A. A. (Full name withheld) and tenants called the company to report the matter.
AEDC replied they had closed for the day and could only resolve the issue by Monday.
One of the occupants, Victoria, recalled that her apartment did not have electricity from that Friday till Monday.
She further explained: “After it was eventually activated, we discovered it was not the meter paid for. I found out after using BuyPower (WhatsApp option) to purchase N5,000 light.
“Confused, I checked the transaction details and saw an outstanding of N119,915.83k. I kept wondering how a new meter could have such a debit balance. Also, the address was not ours.
“I then informed the landlord who confirmed the meter name, Mr. N. A. J. (Full name withheld) was not what he used when he applied and paid for the energy device.
“We called AEDC again on Monday. One Ibrahim of the Customer Care Unit assured it would be rectified. As I speak almost one week later, a wrong meter with N119,915.83k after deduction of my N5,000 has not been replaced.”
The aggrieved citizens sent the screenshot of details of the “new meter” which shows the name, address (not the landlord’s or residence), and unsettled bill.
They described the situation as the “height of irresponsibility”, lamenting their almost one week of frustration.
“If Nigeria was a country where justice is timely dispensed and adequate compensation granted, many public and private institutions would be bankrupt by now”, another tenant fumed.
Oyebode Fadipe, AEDC Corporate Communications General Manager, did not take calls or reply text enquiries at press time.
Other phone numbers dialed were either dropped or didn’t go through.
Michael Faloseyi, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) spokesman, also did not calls.
A representative of NERC Abuja Forum Office, on condition of anonymity, advised that the complainants “draft a notification to AEDC so that it can be corrected”. But this has been done.
Asked why a new meter was delivered with N120,000 debt, she said: “This means it’s an old meter. Every new meter has about 1,000 to 2,000 units. If they carried that particular meter from another place to your place, the debt will be there. New meters don’t carry debt.
DAILY POST reports that there have been similar complaints by customers in Abuja and other parts of the country.
- SAD NEWS: Actor Eddie Nartey’s Wife Dies 2 Years After Their MarriageIn EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Actor Eddie Nartey‘s wife, Vida Obenewah Nartey, is dead just two years after their marriage. Teary Eddie Nartey announced the death of his wife in ...[Read more]
- BREAKING: Gunmen shoot soldier dead, cart away rifle in DeltaIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 48-year-old man, Akeem Bello, on Monday appeared before an Ikorodu Magistrates’ Court for allegedly causing the death of two persons through ...[Read more]
- Man in court over alleged manslaughter in LagosIn Local NewsJanuary 25, 2021A total of 176 persons have died in various road crashes that occurred across Ogun State between January and December 2020, DAILY POST learnt. The ...[Read more]
- Mzbel’s Beljam Records Introduces Signee Heartman With First Single Titled ‘For You’In Entertainment, MzbelJanuary 25, 2021On Friday, BelJam Records’ CEO Belinda Nana Ekua Amoah (Mzbel) outdoors her new signee Heartman Lali Ezuh (HeartMan) at an unveiling meeting with the ...[Read more]
- Zamfara : 8,000 civil servants petition NLC over pension refundIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021Nigerian Government through the National Information Technology Development Agency, NITDA, has reminded all data controllers and processors in the ...[Read more]
- Simi Explains Why She Named Her Album “Restless II” While On Apple MusicIn Celebrity NewsJanuary 25, 2021First-time mum singer and songwriter Simi was on Apple Music 1 over the weekend with Alexis Nadeska as she discusses her latest album “Restless II”. ...[Read more]
- Mind Your Business – Sonia, Jude Ighalo’s Wife Slams Fan Who Asked About Her MarriageIn Celebrity News, EntertainmentJanuary 25, 2021Sonia Ighalo wife of football star Jude Ighalo wants everyone to mind their business and stay out of any conversations involving her marriage. The ...[Read more]
- Woman cries out in pain as cows destroy her farmland (Video)In Gossip, Viral NewsJanuary 25, 2021A video has surfaced online showing the moment a woman arrived at her farmland only to see cows eating and destroying her crops. A bike man had ...[Read more]
- Man curses Governor Makinde as he shares video from scene of an alleged Fulani herdsmen attack he survived with his family (video)In NewsJanuary 25, 2021A Nigerian man who identified himself as Olarewanju a.k.a St. Larry has shared a video from the scene of an alleged Fulani herdsmen attack he ...[Read more]
- “I am so proud of this achievement” – 36-year-old Bauchi carpenter becomes father of 13 children as his four wives give birth within 3 weeksIn NewsJanuary 25, 2021A 36-year-old carpenter from Zango ward, Bauchi State, Nura Walwala Magaji, is over the moon after his four wives gave birth within three weeks, ...[Read more]